Ford Maverick / Mercury Comet Forums  

Mobile Tags Register Gallery
Go Back   Ford Maverick / Mercury Comet Forums > Maverick/Comet Forums > Technical

Notices

Old 2013-02-06, 11:20   #11
GrabberGT
Chris

Vehicle(s): 72 Grabber 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by groberts101 View Post
Nice of you to take the bull by the horns here and I had planned on having a custom one made when the time came anyways. So, put me down for one too.

May I ask what is your front(and rear if you don't mind) spring rate.. and how many coils have you cut off if they aren't adjustable coil-overs?
Thanks for jumping on board. We are now half way there.

Front is Total Control Products Coilover conversion with SA Varishock coilovers and 450lb springs. 7/8" Addco sway bar.

Rear is Total Cost Involved Torque Arm with SA Varishock coilovers and 250lb springs. 3/4" sway bar.

I could get heavier springs but the ride is already on the stiff side for cruising. and I plan to start shedding some weight pretty soon which will make it even worse.

Ridetech - Total Cost Involved - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

My build page http://www.maverick.to/mmb/showthrea...ight=GrabberGT
GrabberGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 2013-02-06, 11:57   #12
fastback86
Loose cars and fast women

Vehicle(s): 1974 Maverick 302, 1980 5.0 Mustang coupe, 2004 Subaru WRX Sti (Don't shoot me, it goes like hell!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
is this open for discussion on...do we need a 1-1/8" sway bar?
7/8"...1"...
LOL have taken your car around a corner lately? I have a factory 1-1/8 on my Fox Mustang which is a better platform than ours. I might be down for a monster sway bar.
Old 2013-02-06, 14:42   #13
Bryant
forgot more than learned

Vehicle(s): 72 grabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberGT View Post
...Says the guy installing a 22 point jungle gym in his car. Surely there is a bar back there to attach those end links to. LOL
LOL
now thats funny!!!

im sure i can add 24 points to accommodate the sway bar. i should be able to talk mo into one of these and i have another maverick customer who is interested in handling who ill see if they want one.
my 71 comet build http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=83544
check out my performance shop www.currentautoperformance.com
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 15:51   #14
mashori

Vehicle(s): 1971 V8 Maverick
sound interesting, I'm in. Would it be hard to make a custom one?
mashori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 16:05   #15
GrabberGT
Chris

Vehicle(s): 72 Grabber 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashori View Post
sound interesting, I'm in. Would it be hard to make a custom one?

What do you mean by "make a custom one"? I believe they are simply taking the bend pattern they have for the 7/8 and putting a 1-1/8 bar in the machine instead. Not sure how they plan to accomplish the adjustment holes as I believe these to be solid bars. I have asked before about truely bending a custom shape. They said they could do it if I sent them a pattern. I've since worked out my issues and can make the stock pattern work again.

Ridetech - Total Cost Involved - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

My build page http://www.maverick.to/mmb/showthrea...ight=GrabberGT
GrabberGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 16:57   #16
mashori

Vehicle(s): 1971 V8 Maverick
something like this .... straight tube, like a torsion bar....
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...it%2C4053.html
mashori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:06   #17
71Mavrk

Vehicle(s): 1971 Maverick Grabber Clone
Quote:
I dont see why not. Can I put you down for a front and we'll ask? The standard price appears to be 170 for the rear kit. 150 on ebay.
Chris,
I have to admit that I am not sure if this is something I need. I'm concerned that Addco's own website states that going too big can cause a problem. To keep everything in sync, it seems that if the front is upgraded the back needs to be also. You have a non-stock rear. Has Addco indicated that there is no problem to run the thicker front bar with their standard rear on our stock rear suspension? Just dont want to see the rear step out because of an imbalance.

My qustion is complicated by the fact that I have a Total Control front suspension sitting in the boxes waiting to be installed.

http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/tec...swaybars-work/

Micah
71Mavrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:07   #18
groberts101
Help support the Maverick/Comet Forums by becoming a Supporting Member

Vehicle(s): 1971 Comet GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashori View Post
something like this .... straight tube, like a torsion bar....
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...it%2C4053.html

I don't know how that would be able to reach the lower arms without the necessary bend to get the links mated up.

And the bending of the bars isn't the bigger challange.. it's the proper tempering and stiffening of the steel without becoming brittle afterwards to really make it worthy for long term use in such a torsionally stressed environment.
groberts101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 21:14   #19
groberts101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Mavrk View Post
Chris,
I have to admit that I am not sure if this is something I need. I'm concerned that Addco's own website states that going too big can cause a problem. To keep everything in sync, it seems that if the front is upgraded the back needs to be also. You have a non-stock rear. Has Addco indicated that there is no problem to run the thicker front bar with their standard rear on our stock rear suspension? Just dont want to see the rear step out because of an imbalance.

My qustion is complicated by the fact that I have a Total Control front suspension sitting in the boxes waiting to be installed.

http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/tec...swaybars-work/

Micah
I don't think the TCP front suspension takes the same stock style sway bar connection at the lower arms.

Might be best to call them.. or wait for more guys here running the same exact setup to chime in before placing that order.
Old 2013-02-06, 21:20   #20
groberts101

Quote:
Not sure how they plan to accomplish the adjustment holes as I believe these to be solid bars.
That would be my concern as well. Not so much the how as I would assume they will heat and smash the end flat as is typical.

Adding holes to shorten or lengthen the end link connection points on the bar to reduce/increase leverage for the sake of reducing/increasing rated stiffness would stress the bolts/end links when off center from the suspensions normal plane of travel, right?

In which case we may as well just use the early Mustang bars since they are too long on the ends as well from what pic's I've seen. I've also thought of just modding one of those 65/66 bars since it would be fairly easy to chop a bit of length and just have them flattened once more for a place to drill the new hole which the end link can mate up to.

Which would likely make them even stiffer as they leverage was reduced. Would ruin the temper at the ends.. but they probably wouldn't break in that location anyways? Wouldn't want to test that theory at higher speeds on a big sweeping corner though. lol

Last edited by groberts101; 2013-02-06 at 21:34.

Interested in this thread?
Receive email updates and post your own response by registering today, it's free!