Ford Maverick / Mercury Comet Forums  

Mobile Tags Register Gallery
Go Back   Ford Maverick / Mercury Comet Forums > Maverick/Comet Forums > Technical

Notices

Old 2013-03-27, 07:44   #1
lightspeed

Vehicle(s): Two 1971 Mercury Comet GT
steering gear adjustment

i have a 71 comet gt v-8 , that was a factory power steering car from the factory... i removed the power steering pump , all hydraulic lines , and the power cylinder , installed a manual steering adapter , that has the spring inside of it..

i had the car aliment done , and the shop said all my suspension and tie-rods where all good and in spect,s . but when i drive my car , i still have to compensate for the steering wheel by moving it left to right in small amounts.. to keep the car straight...

my friend sugested that my steering gear , is a little worn and could use a adjustment.

the adjustment in the book is a little compalicated , but this is how he said to adjust the steering gear , and i would like to know what he said was correct or wright or would work or cause damage , or any other opinions.

he said losen , sector shaft adjustment screw , the locking-nut and turn the slot-flat screwdriver about a 1/4 turn clockwise and then lock the locking -nut. go for a drive and see if it tightens the steering wheel play , left-right or makes it worse , if it makes the steering wheel left-right movement worse. unlock nut and go counter-clookwise , and keep little adjustments like a 1/4 turns at a time until sloop is out of steering wheel.. he said this only works if all your suspension is with in spect,s and to only adjust locking screw in small adjustments , because u could do damage over adjusting steering gear..

i was wondering about this theroy and adjustment, or is it time , that i pull out the steering gear box and send it off to be rebuilt some where , imangine it is the original since 1971 and never been serviced before
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 2013-03-27, 07:57   #2
71gold
Frank Cooper
Help support the Maverick/Comet Forums by becoming a Supporting Member

Vehicle(s): '73 Grabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
installed a manual steering adapter , that has the spring inside of it..
I installed one of these and had the same problem...went to a...manual drag link and pitman arm...('70 donor car)...
71gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 08:47   #3
lightspeed

Vehicle(s): Two 1971 Mercury Comet GT
i thought the 70 maverick had diffrent suspension set up then the 71 maverick and comets that came after ( 1970 ) did yose a 70 manual center drag link with a 70 pitman arm , on a 71 mavercik , comet , or a combination of 71 manual center link , with 70 pitman arm???? thanks for the help!!!!!!!
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 09:03   #4
rthomas771

Vehicle(s): '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed. '60 Falcon V8 Toploader 9"
There's more to adjusting a steering box than that. Adjusting only half will get you into more trouble. http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html

rthomas771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 21:08   #5
71gold
Frank Cooper

Vehicle(s): '73 Grabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
i thought the 70 maverick had diffrent suspension set up then the 71 maverick and comets that came after ( 1970 ) did yose a 70 manual center drag link with a 70 pitman arm , on a 71 mavercik , comet , or a combination of 71 manual center link , with 70 pitman arm???? thanks for the help!!!!!!!
a 70 manual center drag link with a 70 pitman arm...on a '73 Maverick...
71gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 23:06   #6
74merc
computer nerd

Vehicle(s): 1974 Comet
I have one of those adapters that isn't spring loaded. No issues and much tighter steering than the stock setup.

I don't know why they would make the replacement spring loaded if it was no longer the control for the power steering.
3:1
http://members.tripod.com/red74merc
74merc is offline   Reply With Quote

Interested in this thread?
Receive email updates and post your own response by registering today, it's free!