New member from Sweden!

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Swede, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Swede

Swede Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet GT, 2v 302, 3sp manual trans
    Hi guys!
    I just got home with my new ride, a 1972 Mercury Comet GT with 302 and manual 3-speed. Great car, drives great, no rust, slightly faded paintjob but still very acceptable. I´m tired (it´s midnight, and I got home just an hour ago) but EXTREMELY happy! :D

Before you ask for pictures, I haven´t got any yet. To dark to take any now, and I will probably be too busy this weekend, but I´ll post them ASAP.

I have a couple of questions regarding my car, but I will do a bit of surfing here on the forum first and see what I can find out on my own.

Anders O

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Howdy. Got any pictures? Sorry, had to do it. Sounds really neat. Waiting to hear all about it.

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    Welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Someone here will know the answers.:)

4. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    Welcome aboard....Can't wait to see pictures & hear all about it.

5. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

Welcome to the board, sounds like you have yourself a nice ride!!!

6. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    sounds great. are there many mav/comets in sweden? welcome to the board.(y)

7. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

8. qicvick

qicvick Member

Vehicle:
    1972 grabber
    Welcome! what color is your GT? Do you know where it was made?

9. Tim Wilmoth

Tim Wilmoth Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet gt
    Welcome from a fellow 72 GT owner.

10. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

Good question, also curious about the history of the car, where it was from originally etc.?

11. Swede

Swede Member

Vehicle:
    Hi guys! Thanks for the warm welcome! :)
    I´ll post a bunch of pics as soon as possible. If weather cooperates I´ll give the car a thourough wash tomorrow, and snap some pictures.

Regarding the existance of Mavericks and Comets in Sweden, I´m uncertain about the numbers. I know there are just a few Mavericks, and the guy who sold me this Comet GT said he had seen one at a meet once. They are certainly not a common car, quite the opposite, and you have to understand that vintage US cars is a HUGE hobby here, there´s a whole subculture (well several actually since so many are loyal to one maker). The biggest US-car meet outside the USA is held anually in a town called Västerås, the meet is called Power Big Meet.
    Just driving to pick up my Comet last night, and back to my hometown of Örebro (a roundtrip of roughly 360km) me and my buddy counted 10 vintage Cadillacs, 1 -69 Mustang Mach1 and a host of other vintage US cars, in total more than 20. This was driving on open roads, we like to use our vintage cars here in Sweden. Many (like myself) use the cars as daily drivers for the summer season.
    Yet, this one I´ve bought is the first Comet GT (and first Comet) I´ve ever seen in person. I was aware of the Maverick, and have seen a couple of those, but as I said, there´s a huge amount of American Muscle around here, and very few Mavericks and Comets. I´d guess it is because when they were manufactured, they were meant to compete with European (and later Japanese) cars on the domestic (US) market. We allready had "similar" sized cars, so there was little market for them. And they haven´t yet become very sought after as vintage cars (which probably will change to some degree) since they still are overshadowed by Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, Cudas and so on.
    That´s good though, because it meens that I can get a VERY nice, good working condition V8-powered vintage US car, for the money I got from my "in need of a lot of work" sixcylinder 1967 Mustang when I sold it, and still have a lot of change left! ;)

The history of the car, as far as I know it is this. It was Imported into Sweden by a dealer as a used car in 1973. In the late 80´s it was restored and mildly customized (including a paintjob of the body, enginecompartment and chassis/underside. It has a slightly "warmer" cam and pistons, but still retains the 2V carb, so I doubt it has much mor horsepower than stock. Custom exhausts (2 barrel) makes for a very nice sound. As I said, it is in good rustfree condition. The paintjob is slightly faded, and has a few cracs in it, but definitely nothing major. Interior is very good. In short, a nice driver with good head-turning factor! :D

In fact, driving this car today I got just as many looks from people as I ever have when driving my many vintage Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes and Firebirds. People like nice cars, it´s as simple as that.

Anders

12. Swede

Swede Member

Vehicle:
    I have posted pictures of my car in the "General Maverick/Comet" forum. So for those of you interested in seeing my car, please have a look. And also, fel free to give feedback (ANY kind, I´m trying to learn here) regarding what you see.

Anders O