Eaton Springs!

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by kboldin, Jul 1, 2014.

1. kboldin

kboldin Alain De Cadenet Has My Job!

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    So I contacted Eaton Spring for a new set of OEM style rear leaf springs for my Maverick, here’s their reply.

“Kevin,

One day the Mavericks may make it our on-line listings. A new set of springs are 499.00 plus shipping.

In order to provide shipping costs we will need the complete address including Zip Code of where the items will be sent to.

We accept Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express, Cash, Checks and Money Orders. We do not ship COD.”

BAZINGA!!! $500 smackers!!! I’m sure they are superb pieces because Eaton has a great reputation and all but that’s on the high side! Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’m suffering heart palpitation at the moment! :49:

Paul Masson likes this.
  2. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I think my JC Whitney springs were only $120 for the pair. I think 500 is pretty high for any thin slabs of steel.

3. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Made in America vs Chinese.

4. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Try calling the local spring shops.

I bought a set of eye bolts from a local spring shop and he told me he would build a new set comparable to what General Sprint and ESPO sell them for. I am sure the prices are higher now since then as the price of steel has gone up.

Just got this quote from ESPO Springs 'n Things
    4 Leafs for a Maverick are $195 for the pair. They are matched pairs and include the front rubber bushings pressed in. We also carry the rear bushings, shackles $40/pair, ubolts $16/set of 4 and eye bolts $6/pr if you need them. Approximately 4 days to ship.
    http://www.springsnthings.com/index.htm

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Eaton has always been more expensive. I priced them there years ago, I got mine from ESPO

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    My rears are from ESPO. My fronts are from Eaton. I went with Eaton because I thought they would be dead on accurate. Still had to cut one coil off. :huh:

7. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Back when I bought my JC Whitney 4 leafs 10 years ago, they came from and were made by a local spring shop here in the USA. Then they had JR Spring supplying them, which was a reseller and I'm not sure where they were made.

General Spring has them on their web site for $110 each - they are US made

http://www.generalspringkc.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=maverick

:clap:

8. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
  9. smegnl

smegnl Roger Saffle Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
  10. kboldin

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Thanks Bryant, I'll give them a call and see what they can do! Might be a whole lot less expensive rebuilding them.

et al, General Springs seems to be the next best option so far, roughly half that of Eaton. I'll let everybody know what I find out! Thanks for all the input!!!!

11. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I have general springs, it took almost a year for them to settle and I still want it lower... They seem to be a very good spring though... They are still very stiff 3 years later, I think mojo took the forth leaf out of his...

12. Rickeeling

Rickeeling Member

Vehicle:
    2 door 73 Maverick with a 302
    What about a pair of 4 leaf from Melvin's. for $179 Who makes the ones he sells ?

13. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I did take bottom (leaf) out, it rides a lot better. I wud suggest anyone who drives the car more than on a race track or the local cruise meets, do the same. I got the idea from 71Gold - wish I had did it long time ago. Removing the leaf did lower the rear abt 1". I don't race the car, don't need those heavy springs to keep the car from squatting or reduce wheel-hop. Removing the leaf was one of the best changes I have done to the car.

14. coutangman

coutangman Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet GT, '72 Sprint Mustang Sportroof, '73 Mustang conv, '69 Cougar XR7 conv.
    I bought a set of Eaton Springs for my '72 Mustang Sprint and my '73 Mustang conv, great springs, $299 per set. I also bought a set of ESPO springs for the '69 Cougar conv, also good ride, quite a bit less expensive, also. I have ridden in Ken's Maverick with the General Springs and I thought they had a good ride, too. So, I guess it's all good, no matter what you do.

Jim

15. kboldin

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I called nation spring, his quote for a rebuild was $300. Includes an additional leaf (four total) and said he could make the ride height at whatever I wanted. His price was without bushings but said for an additional $15 he would include the fronts pressed it.

I’d say for an OEM like replacement, general spring is hard to beat for the price (at least I’ve not found any less expensive so far).

For custom work, specific ride height or ride quality (sprint tension) national spring would be the way to go. Ben at national spring sounded very knowledgeable and was more than willing to work with and custom set ups. I got the impression he really knows his stuff!