1970 Maverick that has sat for 40 years

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by hurden, Oct 20, 2024 at 8:17 PM.

1. hurden

hurden Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Hi everyone. I have a 1970 Maverick all original with 43000 miles. I belonged to my grandmother who bought it new. It has been garage kept so it's pretty good shape but has just been sitting for 40 years. I have changed the oil but before I try to get it to turn over I would like to spin the oil pump. I know it is camshaft driven via a shaft from the distributor, but having read on here that the shaft may or may not stay in the distributor, is there a way (procedure, trick) to keep it from pulling out of the oil pump but falling back into the oil pan before I can grab it at the bottom of the distributor? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Originally, the shaft is retained by a press on clip that won't allow the shaft to pull out. Only after Joe Jackleg pulls oil pump and doesn't reinstall clip(or has it upside down) do they usually fall out.

Easy way is use pressurized oil supply and inject oil through oil pressure port on side of engine.

3. TeeEl

TeeEl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    I'd check the fuel system before firing it up...

Ronald Hopkins and Krazy Comet like this.
  4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Over time, leaded gas of old can produce shellac like varnish. Of course, not as quickly as ethanol laced fuel, but in 40 years has had plenty of time to ferment.

5. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    alternate fuel source from little tank under hood, some fresh oil, a few squirts of Marvel Mystery Smell down the SP's and rotate the engine by hand a few times with plugs out, before trying with ignition.
    ... the more you FWIT, the more things could be off ...
    if you must, pull Distributor and remove Hex oil pump drive from Distributor or from in block if still in oil pump. Use the drive or adapt to it a battery drill and spin the oil pump to simulate full oil pressure fire-up.
    ( if oil pump hex drive is somehow dropped into engine, it can be retrieved with access to pan through the fuel pump block boss and a magnet stick easily...) Uhhh how'd I know that? :162:
    . If car sat for time, some non-obvious important things like fuel tank , brake rubber lines, and engine valve stem seals may have significant deterioration .
    once a few issues are addressed, sure your Maverick will rise to ride again, my '74 Maverick must have sat in same spot a long time to sun bleach across interior so effectively and still it started right up ...
    hve fun

6. hurden

hurden Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Thanks everyone for the great responses. Yes the fuel tank was heavily varnished (one guy at the shop I thought could save it said he smelled it when I drove in) and would cost more to save it than a new one. It does need all new brakes and hoses, not sure about other rubber parts. I cleaned the carb and hope I got it back together correctly. Thanks again for the advise, this seems to be a really good forum. Trying to figure out what I can use as a pressurized oil source to feed thru the oil pressure port. Thinking a grease gun filled with oil may work.