1974 Maverick Grabber Gas Tank

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by KRigdon102, Apr 28, 2008.

1. KRigdon102

KRigdon102 New Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber
    Does anyone possibly know where to find a 1974 Mav Grabber gas tank. I have been searching on-line for weeks and cannot find one for this year. Are there any interchangeable parts, or a place where they sell them?

Thanks,
    Joseph
  2. BaldEagleMav

BaldEagleMav BaldEagleMav

Vehicle:
    '73 2 Door w/250 & C4
    Re: '74 Gas Tank

Hi Joseph,

I have a '73 Maverick and I was able to install the gas tank from a '76 Maverick. ('76 was the year with the largest gas tank - 19 gallons!)

The '70 to '73 Mavericks all had the small rear bumper and the tank was slightly smaller than on the later year cars to account for this difference.

I have heard that some people have had to "clearance" the rear panel slightly to install the larger, later tank in their pre-1974 Mavericks - but I didn't have any clearance issues on my car.

I think you can still get '76 or '77 gas tanks through the normal channels for gas tanks.

I expect installing a later tank into your '74 would be a cinch!

Regards,
    BaldEagleMav
  3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Media Gallery:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon
    Only other issue might be the vent and straps. For the vent, early tanks use the big locking ring like the fuel sending unit. Later tanks use a small grommet. You can buy the grommet and vent valve from Ford last time I checked. Part number for the grommet is F6TZ9B076-AA. Part number for the valve or fitting as I think they call it, is E7DZ9B593-A. The straps will probably have to be lengthened to fit the larger tank, or just find a set off a 75 or up car.
  4. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door Brn.
    I have a tank in a 74 that I am using for parts. I bought the car about 4 years ago and the tank had just been boiled out and resealed. Been sitting ever since with a small amount of gas in it. Gage worked. Still in the car. If you are interested I guess I should put it in the for sale section.
  5. KRigdon102

KRigdon102 New Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick Grabber
    What would you be willing to sell it for? I would also need the filler neck, and straps if you have them.

Joseph
  6. 74bossmav

74bossmav Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door Brn.
    You could have the filler neck, straps ect. I will try to get it pulled Sat. morning and let you know price. Tank looks like new on outside and has an undercoating on it. I just want to make sure of it's overall condition before I set a price. Not sure at this point how to get it to you though.
  7. Cabbym03

Cabbym03 Member

Vehicle:
    Comet
    I just recently bought a brand new tank from Kragen auto parts, its the same part number as a 79 ford granada so i had to order it for a granada cause otherwise it isn't in the system, as far as the vent i think you can get the right grommet and valve. I used the same straps (had to finesse and man handle them to get them on but they worked) another hint I had to bend the tabs on the tank also were the straps go.you can see a lot of parts and part numbers at a website called Autokrafters.com just download the catalog for maverick.
  8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Media Gallery:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    got these parts at the Ford Dealership today...

...Frank...:drive: