5.0 EFI Swap in 64 Comet

Discussion in 'Technical' started by bad92vet, May 4, 2010.

1. bad92vet

bad92vet Member

Vehicle:
    1964 Comet
    Hello all new member here, after years of being a GM guy I purchased a restored 64 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible from my god-father. GM guy or not I can appreciate a beautiful car and given the price he quoted me I couldn't pass it up.

Anyway long story short unfortunately the original 260 broke a push rod. I haven't had a chance to dig in to deeply, hopefully nothing is hurt. In case it is I'll of course have to pull the motor and go through it to ensure there are no pieces floating around.

This got me to thinking (dangerous for me I know) about a possible swap. If I did a swap I'd probably still go through and refresh the 260 and then wrap it up for safe keeping. I'm considering swapping in a 5.0 EFI motor and AOD trans from a mustang. I'm not all intimidated by the wiring harness or fuel hook ups, however I would appreciate any input for someone who's tackled this. I'm more concerned with the physical fitting of everything....

Will the EFI unit clear the engine bay braces? I believe the cars had lower intake manifolds
    Any issues with the oil pan?
    Will the throttle body clear the passenger side shock tower?
    I want to use a factory roller cam speed density motor, which years should I look for?

Can't think of anything else right now, please chime in with any info or suggestions you can think of, I've done a few swaps/conversions so I know what I'd be getting myself into.

Hope to hear for you, thanks in adavance.....

jeff

2. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Welcome to the board.
    Talked to a guy at a Cruise-in...he said no problem. I don't like the idea he cut the shock tower braces out. When the day comes to replace tie rod ends...you might wanna conside swapping to a '65 center link, tie rods, idler and use a '67 V8 Mustang pitman arm to fit your 1-1/8" sector. You will be still be money ahead and have better steering geometry. TFFN.net will be more help than this site when it comes to older COmets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    the upper intake will interfear with the shock tower braces. some custom braces should be made to replace them. if you was speed density then 87-88 federal emmisions mustang is the year for you. 88 california and 89 all up are mass air. the 86 mustang is about 20hp less hp than the 87. i dont know about the other fords that had a efi 5.0 on when they got mass air.