67, 68 Merc Cougar Taillights

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by gmatthew76, Nov 18, 2011.

1. gmatthew76

gmatthew76 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 2 dr Maverick, 1977 2dr Maverick,1998 Ranger, 2004 Focus Wagon
    I picked up a really nice set of Cougar Tails a few months ago. While I really think there great looking pieces, I'm not sure if I'll like them for my Maverick.
    I've seen pictures of them installed on Mavs on the forum, and they look pretty cool but it's always hard to see how well they fit. Since the mounting surface isn't exactly flat, I would appreciate some advice on the best way to mount them. Is it true that the cougar taillight assembly will fit a shelby tail panel? Or would I need different taillights if I where to install the 68 Shelby tail panels?
    Thanks
    :tiphat:
    Matt

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    The lights will have to be flat if you use the Shelby panel and as you know the Cougar ones are not. Not to mention the Cougar lights just stick out too much. At least that's my opinion.

3. Cpt. Bondo

Cpt. Bondo Member

Vehicle:
    (2) '72 Comet GTs, 68 Mustang
    I have a set of those myself. I only spent maybe 5 minutes looking at them but from what I was seeing that needed to be done to get them to mount flat on the panel and be completely sealed, the raised section of the tail panel will need to be flattened or you can build up the area under the tail light where it hangs over the raised area.

I'm just going from memory here and I could be wrong, but I believe Mr. Shelby used T-Bird tail lights without the chrome trim on the Mustangs. T-Bird tail lights have both ends squared off where the Cougar tail light has a point on one end and is physically bigger than the T-Bird tail light.

Hope this helps,
    -Scott H.

4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    On the 68-70 Shelby, he DID use the chrome trim. That's what I have on my car...with the steel Shelby panel.

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I have some that came with a car I bought, they are huge!!!

6. Cpt. Bondo

Cpt. Bondo Member

Vehicle:
    (2) '72 Comet GTs, 68 Mustang
    Thank you for letting me know about the chrome trim.

I knew my friend's '67 Shelby didn't have them, but I honestly couldn't remember if the other years did or didn't.

-Scott H.