71 Mav updated interior door handles and arm rests

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Cleaver, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    Well - I really didn't like the interior door handles on my 71. I hated the interior arm rests even more. I was looking at the 73 parts car that I have and the interior handles looked like they could easily be grafted into the 71 doors. (I wanted to keep the 71 doors rather than switch them because the 71's are about 25 lbs lighter - no side brace) So - the torch came out and so did the 73 handles. I trimmed them down and cut a similar hole into the 71 inner door panels and welded them right in. They work great.

Also - I had a set of arm rests from an 86 Mustang that I was thinking about putting in my 58 f100. Believe it or not, the Mustang handles bolt right onto the 73 panels. I just made a pattern of the holes on the 73 and transferred them onto the 71 doors. They look great.

I'll post a pic here later.

Cleaver

2. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    Pic of welded in panel - Put a nice door panel over this and nobody will know.

Cleaver

Attached Files:

3. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    Pic of the 86 Mustang arm rest. It will be dyed to color.

Cleaver

Attached Files:

4. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

Any pics with a door panel on it?

5. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    truck

Hey Cleaver, I see you have a 58 ford, My brother has a 57 ford f-100 he has had it for almost 30 years. They are quite the trucks. If you need anything for it my brother may sell some of them. :bananaman

6. Hanible

Hanible Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 2 door Maverick 170 I6
    i got a 52 3/4 ton with the granny 4 speed and flathead 8 your brother wouldn't happen to hav a faster tranny ... ... ... ... would he??? ??? ???

7. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Trans

Hanible, I doubt it he had taken the 292 out years ago. And replaced it with a 351w,about the only thing stock on it is the body. that is what kind of parts I am talking about.

8. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    I have original black armrests non dyed (i keep dying to a minium)

they are identical to what you have there. If black is what you need, shoot me a pm, I have those things laying around all over the place. I would love to see what the finished product comes out like.

9. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    I got the panels rough cut and in. This is 1/8" hardboard that I got at Lowes. A 4x8 sheet was $4.95. I had one panel from the 71 that was pretty good shape that I used as an overall pattern. I had one panel from the 73 parts car that I was able to use for a pattern around the handle. For the mustang door handle I just measured twice and cut once. I had to tweek the position a little on the 71 door. I just sprayed it black with a rattle can for now. Im not going to do any upholstery until the painting is done. I attached the panels to the door with 1-1/4" long "christmas tree" fasteners.

Good eye on the 58 F100 Chandler. I'm kind of in limbo on it now. Warm weather I'll drive to work a couple of days a week if I can afford it. It's got a 436 BB with highly ported D3 heads (flow similar to DOVE's) RPM cam and intake (saving for the solid roller cam), 3:55 gear, 2800 converter C6. Gets about 9 MPG without my foot into it. I need more carb and some ignition work to wake it up a little more. Only has a 750 Carter on it. Needs a 950 Holley. Right now it has a Pertronix points conversion, but I want to go to a Duraspark distributor and MSD ignition. Present form I cant get the motor to go past 5800 RPM. The bottom end is built to handle 7000 RPM on a regular basis.

Cleaver

Attached Files:

10. Maverick Guy

Maverick Guy Maverick Enthusiast

Cleaver, looks liked you fabbed that in there pretty good. :cool: