73 mav fenders fit on a 73 comet

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by merccomet, Dec 9, 2005.

1. merccomet

merccomet Member

Vehicle:
    73 Comet v8
    will 1973 mav fenders bolt up to 73 mercury comet

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    ...yes...
    ...frank...:bouncy:

3. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Frank is right......

'73 and up are all the same. '72 and earlier have extra notches not
    needed on later years.

4. merccomet

merccomet Member

Vehicle:
    73 Comet v8
  5. JPL

JPL Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick "Police Edition"
    Ok, haven't talked to the group for a few weeks. Started work on the "73" Comet. Body is not bad, but....................and many of you will share this experience, as I found out from researching and talking to others. When I removed the old vinyl roof...yep, RUST, and a good amount. Few places were "pin-holed" through, and I can handle that, but the other rusted areas are pitted pretty bad. Now I can and will remove the rust, or at a minimum smooth out the pitted area to make a smooth service. With that said, I was wondering if any one out there has any (other than the normal light filler smoother job) ideas on smoothing and making the rusted area strong and ready for paint. Read alot about: Rust Bullet and All Metal. The All Metal I have used before, the Rust Bullet I have not. Q. Can the Rust Bullet be sanded, painted and is it good for exterior? On my way to Summit Racing right now, it is a 35 minute drive for me (they carry Rust Bullet), and I need some other stuff. So, when I return, I hope I will have some good tips on: Repairing, saving a rusted/pitted roof on a "73" Comet. Hey, I know the correct "restoration" process, cut out, remove the old, tack in new, but come on, cruising is around the corner, and I just want to get this baby on the road...I hope some of you understand how us "tinker-ers" work, Love to Drive the Classics, Not Making A Show Car....Get It Running, Looking Presentable, and have fun! P.S. Have a nice ride to show and wax in the garage.

6. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    you could lead it in to make it smooth if you want to stay away from the bondo..

Sand/wire brush it down to the point that you have shiny metal then use a MAPP gas torch and some plumbers lead..heat the metal and use some flux until the metal is hot enough to melt the lead and get the lead nice and flowing then pull your torch away, let cool and sand and shape it from there.. You could also use brass brazing rods. there were a couple places on my old Blue 1970 Maverick that the guy I bought it from didn't want to use bondo so he got a box of brazing rods and used those to fill in the rusted areas

7. JPL

JPL Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick "Police Edition"
    Thanks. I used lead before, but haven't in some time. And, as you are probably aware, you really have to be careful with lead, and make sure you use proper ventilation, much more than a dust mask. Lead fumes are bad, thus the reason why lead is no longer used in body shops. But with that said, you are correct, lead can be a great filler, and some of the old lead body shop guys were real artist...but most are no longer with us....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....maybe it was that lead that got em, thanks.