'77 Comet Grill

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by BradleyAaronBoo, Aug 13, 2009.

1. BradleyAaronBoo

BradleyAaronBoo Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Mercury Comet
    What kinda paint you guys think I should use on it?

It's just a basic grey plastic right now. I'm thinking of either going over once with some silver, masking the front of the grill and then spraying it a second time with a flat black to give it some depth.

Or just blasting the whole thing flat black, and matching the areas around the signal lights with it (not sure why they colore around the headlight black and not the signal lights, that would have looked meaner!)

I don't have a compressor / automotive paint sprayer (my dad does, somewhere in his 2 car garage that house FIVE FLIPPIN' CARS. Try finding anything pfft...)

2. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    A good quality spray paint will give you good lasting results.I would suggest a semi gloss finish. Good prep is key to it adhering well

3. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    I'd go a dark charcoal type gray.Do the headlight bezels to match too.

4. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I did mine in semi-gloss black and painted the horizontal bars in argent silver ( where the GTs would have stainless grille bars). Left the raised portions of the headlight doors shiny while painting the insets there black, too.

Sorry I don't have pics yet ... the rest of the car needs to go back together a bit before I can show this off, but it does look good.

I have seen them completely blacked-out, and don't like it ... they need some subtle detail, without really standing out, if that makes sense.