1973 Maverick Restoration

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by jg09, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jg09

jg09 Jon G.

Vehicle:
    Daily driven 1973 Ford Maverick
    When I first caught wind of my brother-in-law's Maverick being up for sale, dreams of a clean and subtle muscle car project danced through my head. I had no idea what condition it was in, or even what year it was, but for the princely sum of $700, I didn't have high hopes. When I finally got a closer look, however, what I found blew me away. The passenger side quarterpanel had a very small amount of rust and there was a dent in the back passenger side door. That was it! The interior was absolutely pristine. Needless to say, this had to be my car. It ran a little rough, but I knew I could get her purring again.

[​IMG]
    The Maverick on the day I bought it. This marked the first time it saw the light of day in 2 years

I handed over $700, got the title, and went straight to the department of licensing to transfer it into my name (which incidentally happened to be across the street). From there, it was over to the gas station for air in the tires and fuel in the tank, then over to the country store I work at to show off my new ride! In an anticlimactic turn of events, nobody was impressed with a near immaculate, buttercream yellow Maverick. It was at this point that I came to a conclusion: My coworkers must have terrible automotive taste!

I swung by the local parts store and picked up a set of points and a vacuum line to replace the missing vacuum advance line. I also picked up a new windshield wiper, as one was completely missing. I got home and started to pick things apart to try and learn the story behind this well preserved little car. Little did I know how much of a story I would find.

And with that guys, I need to go to bed. Work comes bright and early in the morning. More on this story tomorrow!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    You have a good looking more door... I have always wanted one for a daily driver...

3. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
  4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Nice car! I like 73's, they are actually the best year of car to modify.

5. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    :Welcome:to the board..... Nice looking 4dr....

6. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car

What makes you say that?

7. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Because I have one. :rofl2:

8. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    It doesn't look like you will have much work to do to restore your car. What are your future plans for the car?

9. Maverocket

Maverocket Bob Williams

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Mav, 62 F100 unibody
    :Welcome: from the east side of WA!
    Nice find on a clean original '73, and your co-workers definitely have no taste.
    I just finished cutting up a V8 version of your car...

10. jg09

jg09 Jon G.

Vehicle:
    Thanks for the good words guys! She's a sweet car!

Back to the story, though! I was asked if I wanted all the records that went with the car. Being a car guy, I realize the importance of having ALL the paperwork available, so I told them to throw it in. Their idea of "the records" included the original window sticker from the dealership, the financing paperwork, and all the original paperwork that came with it at the time of purchase. I also got a bill of sale from when it was sold from the original owner. Here's the picture that I was able to come out of it with.

On April 9, 1973, Warren Carlton sold Mildred Austin this beautiful yellow Ford Maverick. After all the options, licensing, and taxes, Ms. Austin had herself a $3,233 car, in which she put a $1,000 down payment on. It was purchased at Arlington Ford (and still wears the original license plate frame), and then taken to Marysville. Ms. Austin owned the car until her death in 2001, where it was sold for $1,000 in her estate sale. My brother-in-law's wife's relatives bought it and kept it until she was of the age to drive. The title was transferred into her name and she learned how (and how not) to drive in it. She started dating my brother-in-law and the car got garaged, where it sat for two years. A marriage and a pregnancy later, and they decided that they needed an SUV to haul the baby, so the Maverick had to go. That's where I came in.

11. jg09

jg09 Jon G.

Vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    There isn't a rip, stain, or stitch out of place in the original brown interior.

[​IMG]
    The dash has no cracks, the gauges work just fine, and all the lights behind them work.

[​IMG]
    With the excellent condition of the interior, could this be original mileage? I hope so!

[​IMG]
    The original 250 C.I. inline 6 is dirty and needs a valve cover gasket, but it runs smoothly

[​IMG]
    After flipping through this, I'm wondering if anyone has ever handled it before.

[​IMG]
    Life is too short to drive something boring! And the owners of these same vehicles thought nothing of my classic beauty!

12. jg09

jg09 Jon G.

Vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    Now the not-so-good. My rusty spot.

[​IMG]
    The dent from a pole encounter.

13. jg09

jg09 Jon G.

Vehicle:
    I hope to restore it to it's original condition and daily drive it. After it's all restored, it'll just be be a matter of keeping it that way.

14. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I would drive it "as is"... it has "character". ..:thumbs2:

15. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

A garage in the only way to do that. A car cover can cause more damage that what it prevents.