Tri Carbed Mavi GT build........

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by Moneymaker 1, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Moneymaker 1

Moneymaker 1 Green Street Beasts

Vehicle:
    1972 Green Maverick Grabber Street Beasts
    Ok I have goofed off long enough with my HotWheels Grabber so it's time to start on the Mavi Gt build for the wife, I am starting this thread a little early just to bring everyone up to speed so to speak, as you may know I paid $500.00 for this car and had it running is less than an hour after getting it home, the new points were not tightened down, I was told it would run a 10.5 on the local 1/8 mile track, also was told it has a stall converter, locker rear with gearing installed and tranny has been built, I will dig into those things as it progresses, I have drove it, it is fast for a 200ci, it has a 170ci head on it with as I was told 289 valve springs and the larger valves, I was offered $2000.00 for this car by the original owner, of course I said no, I have since bought another 1969.5 and will combine the two of them to finish this project, extra parts will be posted in the for sale classified section as the become available, as well as a full Maverick shell with title will be offered up eventually, additionally my wife, Mavi GT girl on here, may take over this thread after a bit, ok lets get to pics as I know you guys like pics......
    First a little sound video of the first running, you may have heard it already but this is a project thread and I have to include everything, in this video it is only running on one carb......

http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/Moneymaker-1/media/MaviGT/TriCarbed200I6Sound_zps6a3f6622.mp4.html

This is what it looked like when I went to pick it up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what she wants the finished Maverick to look like, in Grabber blue and flat black......

[​IMG]

For an additional $400.00 I picked up a lot of parts, some that went into my Grabber, but there is plenty left for the Mavi GT....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the other Maverick that will be combined, I also paid $400.00 for it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am working on getting it in my shop to start it, I have a head gasket job to do on my daily driver first, more pics as soon as it gets in there. :thumbs2:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    So which sunroof are you going to use? :D

3. Moneymaker 1

Vehicle:
    You know something don't you lol, I have to use the one in the white car, the other one is somewhere between here and the house I picked the car up from, prolly in a million pieces, but you seem to have known that :rofl2:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. Moneymaker 1

Vehicle:
    I may have failed to mention another thing, there will be plenty of pics on this project, when I spoke with Hagerty Insurance about getting it insured as a project, of course they asked about the car, I told them what it was and what I hoped it to be, they expressed an interest in for an article in some future issues of Hagerty's Classic Cars Magazine, nothing set in stone yet but there has been discussion on it, I am just afraid they would want to move faster on the article than I can on the project, what I plan is to get a bit ahead on it before I submit any thing and maybe have them (the articles) trailing behind a bit, that way if I get in a bind on some aspects of the build it won't affect the timing for the Magazine.

5. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    Very cool, Roger! Good Luck with the build, and I can't wait to start seeing progress. I LOL'd when I saw BOTH cars had sun roofs. Must be a Florida thing??? We'd need them up here to act as a green-house heater to keep warm in the cold months (all 10 of them).

Subscribed! (y)

6. Moneymaker 1

Vehicle:
    Hi Paul, thanks! hope I can work it all out, you need more than a sunroof, what you are about 16 degrees right now, hate to tell you but it's 70 here right now, cruising time for me, I have been watching your build and for it being so cold you are moving along nicely, I couldn't stand the cold, my hands quit on me.quickly, as soon as I finish the head gasket on my Aztek (major pita) I will move the Maverick in and start pulling stuff.

7. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    This will be an amazing build. It is very unique and will be cool! I am subscribed.:thumbs2:

I would love to have that gas filler neck!?!?

8. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    Is that the original little 7.25 rear the 70's came with or an 8.8? It does look larger than the one that came in my 69.5 but I haven't seen that rear in 24 years :)

9. Moneymaker 1

Vehicle:
    Good question, I have not looked at it very much, as soon as I get it in the shop I will look it over better, that rear is coming out so I can see it better at that time, I'll post my findings here.

10. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    I've seen 10+ cars out here also with sunroofs. I still have no clue why people do it. They really dont help in the summer :D sometimes it makes it worse.

11. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    I don't believe there would be any type of locker or good gear sets available for the 7.25 rear :)

12. Cruzin Illusion

Cruzin Illusion Enigma

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    That doesn't look like an 8.8 rear end. The cover is much more rounded and not angled on the corners.

I am betting that it is a 7.25

13. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    Could be - I just thought I recall the 7.25 looking much smaller that what we see here - if it is a 7.25, I bet that it doesn't have anything good in it

14. Moneymaker 1

Vehicle:
    Trying to find information on a company called GER, I have the box the set came in and am trying to find out what I have.

15. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    fairly common for the 7.25 is a 3.20 gear set, which was used rather widely on mustangs. 3.50 gears do exist, but are scarce.
    even limited slip differentials do exist, but i have never seen one, not even for sale on the web. i'm not sure what would be needed to rebuild it, but i bet parts for it are hard to come by...