Adding a Grabber spoiler...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by RASelkirk, Feb 1, 2008.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    Is there a template available for drilling the holes in the trunk lid? If not, wht's the best way to get them in the right place w/o having to 'oversize' them a bunch?

Thanks!

Russ

2. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I have an actual Grabber trunk lid with spoiler but the truck was rusted very badly and I chose not to use it. Instead I took my original 70 non-spoiler trunk lid and turned it into one that will accept a spoiler. I just took the spoiler and laid it against the rear tip of the trunk lid and marked it for the 4 holes. I then took a hole saw and drilled the 4 holes through the trunk edge. The spoiler fit perfect. You can see that the teal Grabber lid has some square access holes in the inner panel so a socket can get in and tighten the spoiler nuts. I did this way back in the summer and I don't have the trunk nearby to measure the hole size but I believe I used a 1 inch hole saw. Maybe someone else can chime in with the exact hole size.

The first picture is the original lid and the second one with the paint stripped is the one that I drilled.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  3. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    I would use a smaller than 1 inch. I marked mine the same way and started small. I think I ended up using the 1/2" bit .

4. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    Gene, is a 1/2" hole the mininum hole size that the studs will fit in? I just decided to duplicate what was original. It took me all of about 2 minutes with the hole saw and the 2 lids came out identical. :)

5. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I think the smaller holes worked out for me. They are bigger in the one I removed the spoiler from. Maybe if the hole is bigger you have some room to adjust to fit.

6. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I believe Craig Selvey has a template

7. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    A pic (or three) is worth a thousand words! :Handshake I do agree that 1" holes seems like overkill, but you can't argue with factory logic. PM'ing Craig today...

Thanks!

Russ

8. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    Russ, I measured the 4 holes that are in the Grabber trunk lid and they are 1 inch. You might want to check with Craig on this but these spoilers come with factory pre-formed seals or else some sort of sealing compound (hard to tell if factory or not since mine were all hard and cracked) to seal that spoiler against those 1 inch holes. If these are pre-formed seals and not available, you may only need the smaller hole and use silicone or somethig else to seal the smaller holes. I would have been looking for this same advice this spring when I start to put everything back together again.

Good luch, Bob :thumbs2:

9. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i juss got in there with a grinder and nocked my trunk out. its ugly but you'll never see it so im not too worried

10. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    One of the reasons I went small...so I could put some sealer on the holes. I don't recall seeing any kind of sealer on the donar.

11. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    The factory just used some type of sealer on the holes.....not pre-made gaskets.

12. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I used 1". Easy to seal up. 1" also allows some adjustment.

13. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    ..i put my spoiler up to the trunk lid lip and marked the hole location using the studs. then took my 4" grinder and cut a 1" wide notch about 1/2" deep. put my spoiler on and adjusted any holes for clearance...

...:thumbs2:...

14. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr

i did the same thing, but used a 5/8" hole saw and was nearly a perfect fit :thumbs2:

15. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    With all this Grabber spoiler talk, it was easy to decide what to work on today. I got all of the teal paint off the spoiler and all sanded down. Just one more thing ready for paint.

The first photo here shows the underside of the spoiler and you will see the 4 raised cylinder shapes with the mounting studs coming out of them. No matter how you make the holes in the edge of the trunk lid, the main thing is that the holes are big enough for these fiberglass cylinders and studs to fit through the holes and the spoiler fits tight to the trunk lid. The second photo shows these in the trunk holes and my 1 inch holes are just slightly on the large side but it does give some adjustment. This is the reason for the 4 goofy looking hold down clamps so they clear this fiberglass and tighten up against the inside of the trunk lid. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011