Aftermarket Radio Help Needed

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jusgotamaverick, Mar 9, 2013.

1. jusgotamaverick

jusgotamaverick Member

Vehicle:
    75 ford maverick 4.1 250 six
    Hello folks, need a lil help i want to install an aftermarket head unit. Ive looked at what the old radui connected to and there are only three wires. Id like to know if i can install directly to this power supply with the connector i have or if i need new equipment for this install.

2. Vizena17

Vizena17 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 mercury comet GT
    I was about to buy an aftermarket head unit also. All I have is 3 blue wires idk if its aftermarket wires or factory, there was no radio in the car when I got it

3. captainmack

captainmack Quad Door

Vehicle:
    1972 4 Door Comet, 200, C4 1970 Dodge Coronet 1975 Econoline 250
    its just pos and negative... make sure the polarity is correct with a voltmeter (touch the leads to the wires and itll be a minus sign before thevoltage number if you have it backwards) and then your good to go and connect...right? Oh..the radio will have a yellow and red for pos that you crimp together and then put to the car pos. wire.The black to black.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    When installing an aftermarket radio, no need to tie in to the old connections for the factory radio at all if you don't want/need to. An aftermarket radio has it's own wiring harness so it can be wired in on it's own.

5. schroensr

schroensr knight Runner

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Mercury Comet
    I used the lighter wire as the memory yellow lead. Then ran a wire to the fuse block on the radio fuse.

6. jusgotamaverick

jusgotamaverick Member

Vehicle:
    Thanx for the help guys...installed the deck now im running into a minor problem since the install ive been having trouble keping my battery charged tested the radio without running the engine on kicc panel speakers and it worked perfectly and i could also start up when needed then i put 2 more in the rear deck since then the battery wont hold a charge had 2 jump her twice since then she'll run but a day l8tr wont start up....Ne suggestiins on what went wrong nd if it makes any difference i disconnected the fuse box from the firewall i replacex the orange connector but its a loose fit as the bolt is too long to secure proprly could this be the cause of my problem??

7. jusgotamaverick

jusgotamaverick Member

Vehicle:
    Batteries fresh bought the day after the car maybe a month ago if that.....now ill check again but i checkd my connections with multimeter on the off chance that i have 2 constant leads running instead of a constant and a switched would that cause me problems??

8. jusgotamaverick

jusgotamaverick Member

Vehicle:
    Jus ramn a checc what originally was a high13 to mid 14 reading is now 6.6 @ the switched source what did i do?? I ask because im trying to get all of my speakers in a need enough power to run without the engine for about 30 mins

9. smegnl

smegnl Roger Saffle Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    like was stated, should just be two wires from the car, pus and neg. Id start with unhooking the radio. Does the car stay charged with the radio unhooked?

10. jusgotamaverick

jusgotamaverick Member

Vehicle:
    Eliminated the fuse box connection as a suspect...... measns im losing power somewhere else

11. jusgotamaverick

jusgotamaverick Member

Vehicle:
    Ill checc that in better weather thanx

12. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    If ur not runnin an amp u shud be able to run the radio 30min w/o any problem. I do it all the time w/ sub amp on, no problem. Since u have a new battery - have u chk the altenator to see if it putting out 14volts? If it's not putting out the 13.8-14+volts ur going to have problems wheter u op the radio or not...

13. jusgotamaverick

jusgotamaverick Member

Vehicle:
    Did not do that how do yu checc the alternator with a multimeter seems lyke it would be kynda hazardous with the engine on unless i go though the bottom....

14. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Connect the meter to the batt terminals w/ engine running "pos to pos -neg to neg" if ur not getting arnd 14 volts ur charging sys is not workin correctly. Cud be alt or regulator. Make sure the grnd frm battery is makin gud connection. U can always go to one of the Big Box chains and have them run a test on the system. My guess is regulator or altenator....r

15. jusgotamaverick

jusgotamaverick Member

Vehicle:
    Ii...thnx so after reading(mojo), realized that was tryna be proactive nd stuied the wiring a bit nd foun how 2 function. So i probbly nd a new alt just bcause, i assume the regulator is the box under the solenoid (Please correct me if im wrong i rally dnt kno, jst look'n) which will be replace along with a new solenoid , cables nd ign. Box...... is that how it goes??