Another piece of the brakes

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by wardf, Jul 7, 2003.

1. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I received this today, something for under the hood:D . Now if I can just get the brake lines by thur my state rep from the MCCI is going to come down and help me get the system bled:) . Now thats a state rep! He has set the bar for other state reps;) ,did I mention he only lives 40 miles but hey that is still pretty cool!
    Back to the master cylinder, the pic isn't very good and again doesn't do the color justice. Sorry about the blur, snapped the pic on the way out the door to work and didn't know it was blurry. The maverick emblem is powdercoated in there with the same chrome color that is on the top which is also powder coating. Tracy did a real trick job:D :D

2. Todd

Todd Mavchanic

Vehicle:
    blue 70 two door
    VERY PRETTY!!! I am very impressed. I am sending some stuff his way pretty soon. Wow I am very very happy to see the type of quality he produces. Awesome. Awesome.

-Todd

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Powder Coating Nut

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick 2 door 302 V8
    Ward,

You need to work on your cars more! The driveway is WAY too clean! ;)

The master cylinder was the first masked Candy Blue Translucent job I've done and it had a bit of a learning curve (3 tries before it came out "just right").

First, the machined areas and the inside have to be masked off completely with fiberglass tape, then the entire unit powder coated and cured in chrome.

Now comes the tricky part. The Maverick logo had to be cut on my modified vinyl cutter (so as to be able to cut the high-temp fiberglass tape). Once completely cut, it is no less than a a three-step process to get the tape weeded, re-taped and applied to the side of the brake fluid resevoir. (What we don't see in the picture is that the other side has the same logo), so we have to do this twice.

After powder coating in the Candy Blue, the entire unit is then brought *just* up to 325 degrees to "set" the blue and keep it from falling off. Temp control here is absolutely critical. If the part gets too hot with the masking tape over the logo, then it will dull the chrome lettering (or worse) which will require a complete re-strip and start-over (ouch).

Once out of this "partial" cure, it is allowed to cool to room temp where the logo masking can be removed. Once done, the entire unit is re-cured at 400 degrees for 27 minutes to cure all of the powder coating.

It is not easy, is very labour intensive, but I would like to think the results speak for themselves.

I would like to thank Ward for letting me hold onto his job for an extra week so I could perfect the process, I hope it was worth the wait!

Tracy

4. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    Is it really.....

40 MILES!!!!!! I was thinking 4 miles ;) J/K That master Cylinder looks very cool! Way to go Ward.....and Excellent job Pegasus!

5. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    That looks very good!!!

Hope the Master cylinder never goes out, or you will have to do a self rebuild on it!

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Powder Coating Nut

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick 2 door 302 V8
    I'm pretty happy with the way it came out (for a 1st try anyway). It has me thinking about some ideas for other "Maverick" logo'd items... Hhhhmmmm....

Maybe the shock tower braces done in Chrome with a candy-blue logo? Heck, I could even scale-down the shock tower cap logo and put it on there ;)

Valve covers (Mavaholic, you listening?? ;) would be very easy, but only if they had a smooth surface on top.

I think a chome air cleaner with a Ford logo towards the rear and a "Maverick" logo towards the front would definitely look nice.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know!

Thanks,
    Tracy

7. DAB

DAB MAVERICK/COMET ENTHUSIAST

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT V8, 1972 Maverick Grabber V8, 1972 Maverick Sprint V8, 1974 Maverick Drag-N-Fly V8, 1972 Maverick 4-door V8, & 1977 Comet 4-door I6. Also a 1969 T-Bird 429-V8
    Looks real good, Tracy!

8. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Tracy; pls PM me with the pricing on the valve covers. I have them ready, just bought a new house, and the time to get them to you is getting near. BTW, the master cylinder looks great. Looks like you put a lot of pride into your work.

Earl