Any luck with those suction-cup dent pullers?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, May 8, 2005.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    It is raining today, and I have done so much cosmetic stuff this weekend, I am on a roll. I don't like bondo, and tend to use fiberglass for the small stuff. But I have a couple of dents that are shallow and in the flatter parts of the body and hood, and was wondering about using those suction-cup dent pullers, but wanted to hear if they work before buying one.

Yesterday, I cut my old rubber front big bumper guard to fit the small bumper, and am VERY pleased with the results. Wish I would have tackled that job a year ago, rather than looking all over for a metal one. Notching the fender was not needed, as the rubber goes around the fender about half-way, and is folded in a way that it doesn't sag downward, as I feared.

I also drilled some holes in the frame to correctly and sturdily mount the front bumper, as it had been just hanging on with one bolt per side for the past year.

If interested in seeing results, check out my website. Lots of pictures. www.geocities.com/scottcodon@sbcglobal.net
    Scroll down and click on May 2005.

The wife wants the car all one color ASAP, and primer grey will be that color until we finish the body work and rebuild the engine, so it is bodywork for a while.

Also, any suggestions on an inexpensive but decent wirefeed welder, and prices?

I have not been on the Cosmetic forum often, but I may be for a while, since I am pretty much done with my motor until it needs overhaul and rebuild.

Scott

2. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    See what happens when you post the URL to your free website on here, you exceed your bandwidth for the month. :D Oh well got halfway through.. :)

3. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Don't waste your money on a suction dent puller. They won't get out small dents or any dents with a crease in the metal. They might help a little with a large dent as long as they are in an area where there are no body lines or curved metal but they won't get all of the dent out. You'll still have to work the area. Might as well spend your money on a good body hammer and dollie since you'll wind up needing it anyway. If you haven't done body work before I'd highly recommend getting a little help on this or it could wind up costing you more in the long run.

4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Did my website not let you on?

It only lets a certain number of hits per hour. But that is what I get for a free server. I may have to switch it over to my server at work or something.

As far as doing "real" bodywork, I am new at this. I have done lots of bondo and fiberglass, and am pretty good at that. But, I have heard of "massaging" metal but have never found anyone who can give me instructions nor provide resources for learning it.

Any suggestions on where I can "get a little help on this"?

5. riporter

riporter Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick 2 dr. modified street cruiser, 72 Comet tube chassis drag car
    Someone had a good weekend with there car.... I picked up one of those " As advertised on TV" pullers the other day in Advance and walked around with it in my basket for awhile...gave me some time to think about it and I put it back.. I may have one dent that thing MIGHT have worked on. I just do it the old fashioned way...beat my head against a wall till I get it right:banghead:

6. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Yeah, I saw one at AutoZone, the one advertised on TV that uses hotglue to hold the suction cup on. I am still thinking about using it for this one larger dent in my right rear quarter. It would at least get it back close enough to where I could work the rest even.

I ended up buying the Haynes body repair and painting manual. It is almost useless, as it goes into very little more than what I already know. There are a couple of quick hints I might be able to use. Also bought a hammer and dolly, and used it to get a couple of dents pretty close to flat. Have a couple holes being filled with fiberglass (not rust holes, but holes from where my old mirrors used to mount. I moved my mirrors forward since I couldn't see anything when they were mounted at my elbow!)

Semi-productive day. Found a small paint gun for $30, made for touch-up work. Figured I could use it to prime each body panel after I straighten them out. Hood is the first one, since after I grind down a couple fiberglass spots, it is ready.

Maybe next weekend...Hey, right above where I am typing this quick reply are two small adds for "Pops A Dent" as seen on TV. $16.50. Is it coincidence that it is appearing on this thread, or do the advertisers scan what is in the content and write ads to fit? Ads by Gooooooooooogle

7. capt.redbeard

capt.redbeard Member

Vehicle:
    74' maverick 250 car converted to a 302
    You had asked about wire feeds, I've had a Hobart 135 Handler for over a year and I like it. It's not a (Hot) welder so I can do body work decent without burning through. Cost me $240 at a fleet farm store. Runs off of 110 curent so you can even weld in your living room, verry portable.

8. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    "Honey, the carpets on fire again!!"
    :eek: :eek:

9. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    For that little money, I will definitely have to look around at those.

10. RICHJJJJJJ

RICHJJJJJJ Member

Vehicle:
    1970 FORD MAVERICK
    they make a neat tool out there that spot welds a rivot onto the panel then a dent removal tool attaches to it and tada you can pull the dent out with no hole drilled into panel i have one wich i gotthru snapon but i know they make same tool for cheaper money once the dent is pulled you simply snap rivot off of panel:) one of my best investments

11. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have used toilet plungers to pull out dents. And, brave enuff to post that I did it lol
    Dan

12. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Most people take magazines into the bathroom. Dan takes his whole car. :biglaugh:

13. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    LOL...Too Funny!!!:biglaugh:
    Dan, I think you set yourself up for that one. :tsk:

14. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    The plunger thing has been around for a very long time, but I hope Dan cleaned his before he used it. :rolleyes:

Scooper, you'll love the touch up gun. I have used mine several times and haven't regretted the purchase at all. I bought a more expensive gravity feed model after I used the cheap one, and I end up using the cheap one more often. Just like it better for some reason. I keep my pressure around 30psi and it works very well.