Anybody ever considered "airless" sprayers?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by soooulpower, Sep 20, 2010.

1. soooulpower

soooulpower Semi-Informed Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2 1974 four door Mavericks, one Black, one pastel lime
    I've been thinking of how to do a decent cheap paint job not only to make my mav look better, but to protect it, While thinking it occurred to me that maybe instead of springing for the pricier compressor I need to use my fathers air gun I could just snag a wagner house sprayer gun and shoot it that way. Even if it can't handle automotive paint I can just go the rustoleum $50 layer and buff route, right?

2. maverickdragger

maverickdragger GearHead

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    it works and can look good. but the quality and life of it is not worth it. im a professional auto painter. i suggest going for broke and doing it right. shop line sells decent paint for cheap. its made by ppg. and the duplicolor you can buy in a parts store is great as well

3. simple man

simple man Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick - 82 Ford Ranger,one of the first ones made!
    Airless sprayers are dangerous to use with flammable paints and primers. I would definitely not try this! If you do a lot of the prep work yourself,Maaco does a pretty decent paint job. My friend had his 86 Mustang done there for $200,and it looks great!:)

4. soooulpower

Vehicle:
    Good point on the safety angle. After a little digging it seems a decent air compressor is pretty much exactly the same price as an airless, so with all the air tools I have already bought in anticipation. I'm sticking with plan A. (Going in for the compressor and using real automotive paint is plan A btw.) Thanks everyone!

5. justin has a 74

justin has a 74 Maverick bandit official

Vehicle:
    74 maverick /71 grabber /72 maverick
    That things a POS IMO!!!

(the ones from harbor freight that are like 40 bucks)

6. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Back in the early 70s I sprayed my old 63 Nova with an airless gun. Ended up with a lot of runs and orange peel but it sanded and buffed out ok. But if your interested, I have a Binks 2000 gun I'll probably never use again.

7. soooulpower

Vehicle:
    I'm interested. Shoot me a PM with the details.

8. soooulpower

Vehicle:
    I just used wagner as an example. I only know the name from commercials. "Hey! Is that a Wagner?" Lol.

9. maverickdragger

maverickdragger GearHead

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    There is another way you can spray your car. With rattle cans. It was told to me by a back yard body repairman who has had some surprising results. In deed, I have seen the pick-up truck he did, and it didn’t look bad.
    His method? He perches the spray paint at a dollar store, he said 24 cans will give you roughly a gallon. He then shook the cans as directed to mix the paint. Then he takes the cans, turns them up side down and presses on the nozzle until all the propellant is gone.
    Now all that is left is the mixed paint. He then punches a hole in the side at the bottom of the can, and a little one on top and dumps the paint into his paint gun pot and paints.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    ^that seems like alot of work. If your a decent painter you can get great results straight from the can. Also walmart carries the 99cent cans. As for the quality i painted my rear panel and my headlight bezel with it and its great. Its in direct sunlight all day and its never faded or peeled once. I also sell Ford parts to some of the top restorers in my area and they always ask me how i panted them and they get suprised when i tell them its cheap rattle can stuff. The only thing i would not do is shoot clear from a can, i have yet to find one that shoots good even the expensive kind.

11. maverickdragger

maverickdragger GearHead

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    oh i wouldnt do it myself. im a professional auto painter. just throwing things out that i have heard to get by cheap

12. Streetdeacon

Streetdeacon Streetdeacon

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2dr.
    I did the grill, hood graphics, tail light panel and the top with rattle cans. The paint for the top was a special paint by SEM for vinyl, but the other was semi-gloss black off of the shelf at the hardware store. Mine turned out ok. I did use 2 coats. I think the prep part is really important to getting good results. I wouldn't try painting the whole car that way though.

13. timers

timers Member

Vehicle:
    1974 maverick
    I painted my car and truck in my garage. But look out for any ignition sources my a/c and water heater are in my garage i have to turn off water heater pilot. Now dont make the mistake my friend did, The compressor must be out side.