Anybody make their own qtr patches...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by predfan2001, Oct 27, 2010.

1. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    It will be awhile before I start on my bodywork, but I ran across a thread on another forum where a guy made a wood buck...clamped on a piece of sheet metal and started massaging the metal with a mallet to make a quarter panel that wasn't available. Once the initial shaping was done he used heat and an english wheel on the edges. I figured this could be done on a smaller scale to make the patch panels I need.

Since I need the bottoms of both of my qtrs, I was wondering if this would be overkill...or just start welding and shaping sheet metal. I had hoped to find patch panels for another model that may be usable but the Mustang panels look unusable.

If any of you actually did your own bodywork...how did you do it?

Attached Files:

2. justin has a 74

justin has a 74 Maverick bandit official

Vehicle:
    74 maverick /71 grabber /72 maverick
    Get some from maverick maniac, we are cutting both sides off tomorrow. Thats all i can say about that.

3. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    You can buy new quarter panels from Autokrafters. Best bet is find a parts car and cut off what you need.

4. cyclonewill

cyclonewill Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick - (2)72 Maverick- 64 comet cyclone- 69 mustang 70 cougar -69 Ranchero - 73 Pinto
    I used quarters from a 4door. The wheel arch works about 1/2 way. I made my own trunk drop off, and outer wheel wells from 20 gauge steel. I had a few rust issues with my donor pannels, but shaped pieces to weld into place. Some day I'll get some pics of it.

5. smegnl

smegnl Roger Saffle Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    RockAuto was about $100 cheaper for two. Just ordered them.

6. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    I only need the bottoms of the qtrs....no way I'm wasting money on complete qtrs since I have access to all of the old sheet metal I need at the shop (for free). Keep in mind I actually do bodywork and I know I can get these patched up, but I sort of like the idea of forming one complete panel vs welding several pieces together.

7. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    I would love to have the talent to do that as that has always amazed me. Maybe I could start out small like an air cleaner base or something.

Bruce

8. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    We have restored a lot of Mavericks over the years and my husband has always made his own patch panels when nothing else was available. I can't begin to remember how many lower quarter panel sections he has fabricated. When you make your own patches you can make them whatever size you need, which results in less wasted sheet metal. It can be done. You just need to take your time, do a lot of measuring and test fit your panels every time you shape or cut them.