anyone ever use low-back mid-60's mustang buckets?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by xpsnake, May 10, 2007.

1. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    I don't think I'll be able to afford a pair of high back buckets in the near future, but I can get ahold of a set of low back buckets to play with for pretty cheap. Has anyone ever installed these seats in a maverick/comet?

2. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    the more i see mustangs with them the more i want a set in my maverick. if i had acess to a set i'd definatly be trying to fit them in my maverick.

i'd go for it

3. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    Man Idunno about the low back Mustang seats but I have a set of low back buckets in my Bronco II and they are sooooo freaking comfortable... If I wasn't all about originality in my Mave I would recover them and install them in my Maverick today

4. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    dont mean to dig up an old thread but has anyone ever tried the low back buckets yet?

i kept the set out of that 68 cougar and was gonna put them in the Maverick this weekend.

i gotta drill out 3 of the 4 studs on the drivers side one since the broke when breaking the nut loose, and replace them with some bolts

these came out of that cougar, and at one point the guy said i could have these too and i said i would give him the really nice bench in my maverick for his maverick. that was like a month ago and ever since they have been sitting in his storage garage. i decided 2 days ago i was going to go get em before he changed his mind about those too. i personally HAVE changed my mind about giving him my bench, even tho i dont need it lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  5. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
  6. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    I'd still like to see some end product, do IT!

7. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    im probably going to try it later this afternoon :)

there will definatly be pics as it goes down too

8. tweet66

tweet66 where am I?

newtoford, if you wanna swap I have a set of black 66 Mustang low back seats that I recovered in September. I was going to put them in my 68 Cougar but they don't look right in there....I'd rather have the original style seats.

9. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    The ones int hat picture look pretty dang comfy, but not as comfy as the seats in my BroncoII.

Now that I have the 73 Grabber that is a factory bucket seat car when/if I ever get around to redoing the interior I think I might just try reupohlstering and putting those low back BroncoII seats in it. which would also free up a set of high back Maverick seats. Hmmm :yup: yeah that sounds like a plan. Oh hunney I need some more money for my Maverick..... hehehehe

10. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I picked up a junked car once that had Mustang buckets. He also used the rear matching upholstery on the Maverick back seat. It all looked pretty good for a driver. They were red. I had them for sale here. I think Seth ended up with them.

11. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:

mine probably dot look as nice as freshly recovered ones tho. the bottom of the passengerside has a rip down the middle and i think the bottom of the drivers side was recovered at one point since its all one color and doesnt have the darker center like its back and the passengerside.

anyway i got them in. i do still need to shim up the back of the drivers side a little bit tho. i just used really long seat studs and shimed everything up to the level of the CAT hump

looks like my girlfriend set the camera to "crap" before she took the pics tho... :rofl2:

and it was such a great day to work out side too. probably not too many more like it this season. swear to god, aside from the time i was using the grinder i was wearing a short sleve t-shirt all day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Those look good in there.

If I were you though, I would trade for the Stang seats.

That way he has his exact seats he needs, and you get something closer and better covered.
    The swap 'down' for him is sorta like the cost to cover the relative rarity of the Cougar seats vs Stang seats IMO.

Oh, all the folks wanting to see pics...
    All you gotta do is look at pics of all the Brazillian Mavs!
    When they had buckets, they were low back.
    That will give you all the idea you need of how they would look.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  13. PAINTANK

PAINTANK Cometosis Obsessivus

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr
    Agreed, swap for the Mustang seats since he needs the exact seats you have and all you want are low backs. Seems like a decent swap to a fellow Mav guy.

I had a couple of 67s and the low backs are cool feeling. Like you're sitting on the car instead of in it.

14. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    i'd be fine trading for the mustang seats. i just thought he shoul know the problems with these seats first.

and if someone out there has a set of real maverick tracks for me that would be wonderful. trying to get these spacers and stuff right is horrible :(

15. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr
    i too have some extra low backs from mustangs. i recently pulled a set from a '67 parts car of mine. very comfortable seats but where im a 'good sized' fellow, i prefer high-backs. looks great in the car though!!!