Anyone running widened or other than stock steel wheels and FOMOCO hubcaps?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by stockhatch, Oct 5, 2004.

1. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    You know the hubcaps I mean? The ones that came factory on the Mavs. They come with beauty rings too. Anyways, I want to run as wide a wheel as possible front and rear, but retain these hubcaps. Anyone doing this? I would really love to be able to use a 15 inch wheel, but im not sure the beauty rings would look right if I could even find any for a 15" wheel.

AC

2. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    They make beauty rings in several different materials, several widths, and in several diameters.
    There are wheel companies that make stock style rims in custom widths and backspace. Summit carries a wide selection.
    I am looking at 15x5 with 3" b/s for the front and 15x7 with 4" b/s for the rear... So I know for sure that these sizes are available. There were a LOT more choices, but I wasn't looking hard at them.
    The hub cap retaining 'lumps' are listed as being there for stock caps, and being 10.25" apart. I measured my stock 14" flat caps and they are 10.25" wide.
    Trim rings are available in chrome steel, chrome plastic, and stainless steel that I know for sure. Stainless looks best with the flat caps. I have seen the rings up to 17" diameter, and widths from 1" to 4" to fit different offsets. I am sure though, that the more 'unique' you get with your combo, the more looking you will need to do to get the size ring you want... and the more dough you will spend.
    Good luck
    Dave

3. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Good to know on the trim rings. Now Im sure I will be able to find exactly what Im looking for.

thanks,

AC

4. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    I just checked out Summit and found these but they list the center as 10 1/8". I wonder if they will still work with the flat poverty caps...

AC

5. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    Ok, maybe it was 10.125"...
    What ever the site said, I went and measured the caps and they were the same.

If you pull up all of the plain rims available in that brand into a list, it will then give you the option to "see special order parts" too.
    Did you pull that up?
    It makes the list of available sizes larger.

Then if you want you can pull up wheel vintique's site, they have a catalog you can download. It is supposed to have an even larger selection.
    I was going to download it, but I am on 56k right now and it estimated .5 hour to do it.
    Dave

6. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    I hear ya on the cap dimensions thing. :) The special order item list is where I found that particular width and backspacing. I THINK that that wheel should still tuck into the wheelwell. Some measuring this weekend should verify though :D I downloaded the catalog this morning, so Ill check it out when I get home from school too.

Thanks again,

AC

7. black396

black396 Member

Vehicle:
    Comet
    The technical term for those hub caps is "poverty cap", or "dog dish" caps:)

Try www.petepaulsen.com they will custom widen your wheels, but it is about $40 per, plus shipping to Calif. :eek: They have wide steel wheels, but they do not mount stock dog dishes. :mad:

Mustang wheels are junk yard available, about an inch wider, and support the dog dish caps. :clap: I stayed with 14 inch, but you can probably find some 15s that are acceptable.

8. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    If I can find a 15x8 wheel with 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 bs in a junk yard, I will be more than happy to snag them. I plan on looking, but I dont think I'll find them. Thats a pretty wide wheel to come on anything stock.

AC

9. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    Yeah, I don't think this stuff is junkyard material.
    There are several companies that make the rims in drastic/non-stock sizes...
    Wheel Vintiques just popped in mind because I was just on Summit looking at them.
    Summit only shows them in 5-8" widths, but from what I understand, this company makes other sizes too. Something like 4-10" widths. If it's not WV, then it's another, because I have seen them in magazines.
    The WVs from Summit are in the $60-65 range... shipped.
    They do fit the poverty caps too.
    Dave

10. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Stockton Wheel may be where you saw those crazy wide sizes. I know they offer them. They offer 15x14s hehe. Heck, they will even take the center from your 14" wheels and make them 15" wheels. Pretty spiffy. I would think though, that the cost would be too prohibitive for me.

AC

EDIT: Yeah, WV does offer those big sizes too. I just checked the catalog. Very pricey though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004