AOD swap is DONE

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by Ryan, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    73 Maverick, 70 F-100, 68 F-100, 02 Crown Vicoria
    My long awaited AOD swap is finally complete. After waiting the last couple weeks for my neighbor to fill his torch tank and get his welding regulator fixed we finally finished it up. It is awesome to be able to cruise at 2000 rpm with 3.89 rear gears. Also the car loves the new 3000 stall instead of the old 2500. I took some pics of the tranny from underneath and of the custom mount but my wifes camer dock is screwed up so I may post them later or if somebody wants to see what I did keep in touch by pm to remind me to send them to you or post them.

The general parts
    AOD from 87-92 mustang is best
    Pioneer FRA-205 flywheel or equivalent out of late 70s early 80s ford car with 164 tooth flywheel
    1993 Mustang high torque mini starter, factory piece form your local parts store
    Lokar TV cable kit
    Tranny cooler and about 20' of line, I used steel line and bent it

The general idea
    Remove old tranny, flywheel, blockplate, and starter

Install new block plate, flywheel, tranny, and starter

The 93 starter will require a jumper wire from the starter cable to the solenoid on the starter, it is kind of a Chevy style

If you have headers you might have to remove one or the other to get the tranny in, I had to remove the pass. side header and mine are Hedman
    Keep tranny supperted with jack and reinstall headers, they will probably touch the tranny and need to be heated with a torch and bent away from the tranny, had to move mine about inch and a half to make me happy.

If you have a factory style floor shifter you can bend the shift linage to work, this may take a while, and alot of swearing. ALso if this is the kind of shifter you are going to use then you will have to remove the valve body from the tranny and loosen the shift rod nut on the inside so you can rotate the outer shift linkage 180 degrees (not the TV linkage).

Fabricate a tranny mount, Have to use your imagination and keep exhaust clearance in mind. Mine was simple and used factory frame mount holes and trans. mount

Install Lokar TV cable. On the top side instead of buying some fancy bracket like they recomend I drilled a hole on my factory throttle cable bracket about and inch under the throttle cable and ran the tv cable through there. Perfect angle since it mount to the bottom of the carb linkage.

Run new lines to tranny cooler. Might be able to modify old lines if you cur and rebend but easier to run new ones.

My driveshaft fit perfect

Modify exhaust pipe to meet the new angle of your headers. We did more heating and bending.

Add fluid, adjust TV cable, and change your oil while your at it and your done.

Sounds easy huh? I did alot of swearing, alot of trips to the parts store, alot of busted knuckles. Good part is now you can sell your C4 abd get some money back :bouncy:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  2. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    One thing, you used the 158 tooth flywheel?

I had to use the 164 tooth flywheel with 28oz imbalance. A bit difficult to find.

3. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    You are correct. I had the numbers mixed up in my head. The bigger 164 tooth flexplate is what is needed for the AOD. Thanks. This flywheel is listed as a factory application in the Pioneer brand transmission parts catalog. 164 tooth with 28oz. balance for late 70s early 80s intermediate cars with C4 or AOD. About $50 at your local parts store.

4. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    4 months now and still no problems. I am loving the better gas mileage and driveability. Gotta enjoy it while I can before it gets too hot to drive a car without a/c in Phoenix. Right now the weather is perfect for cruising.

5. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    cool... now maybe you can drive it to so cal and meet up with us at knotts now... no excuses ;) oh and pick up one of my grabber carbon fiber hoods while your at it :p

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    Great job (y)
    i know you will like it...i know i love mine...:thumbs2:

...frank...:bouncy:

7. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    Still not going to drive it to So. Cal. I am not totally in love with the noise coming from my new ujoint. Plus I caouldn't take the exhaust noise for that long. Maybe after I get it shaken down more and the exhaust redone and routed out the back.

8. Grabber71

Grabber71 Milique Toast

Vehicle:
    '71 Grabber Maverick 351w
    Just turn up the "killer stereo"..that what I do. I will be driving 1500+miles each way to attend the Ford show at Knotts...exhaust noise and all(3000+rpm). So if you change your mind...come on over...would love to see your car and say Hi:bouncy:

9. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    What kind of gas milage are you getting now, compared to what before?

10. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    WTG, Ryan!

BTW, I believe y'all are talking about a 157 tooth "flex plate", not a 158 tooth "flywheel". :yup:

<-- noes it all ;)

11. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    Yea, I caught that when this thread was brought back up. Ooops.

Y'know what I was talking about. :p

12. Ryan

Ryan Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    not sure what kind of mileage I am getting. I haven't found a correct speedo gear to use with 3.89 gears. But I know it is much better.

13. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    76 Small Bumpered Maverick(sold), 691/2 Maverick, 55 Ford Club Sedan, 65 Fairlane 500 Hardtop, 1960 Galaxie Club Sedan
    RYAN, any tips on adjusting the TV cable? I like the idea of using the existing bracket................Dave

14. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    hey ryan. can you post some pics of the mod? I'm looking to do the swap once I rebuild one. Did you build your's or buy it built? -looking for tips. Thanks Bud!

15. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    Ryan,
    You did an excellent job:
    Choosing the 3.89 gears, the late model AOD, steel cooler lines, and throttle cable connections. Did you use Mercon V fluid as is now recommended by Ford?
    Glad to here the Mustang AOD was short enough to use your old driveline - are the angles the same? The gear you need will be 31% larger (multiply the number of teeth by 1.31) to make the speedometer work corectly. (this is approx)
    GOOD JOB!