Auto Air Colors

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mashori, Oct 30, 2007.

1. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    Need some advice on this stuff . . .
    I'm gonna be painting my mav at home in the garage and I wanted to know if anyone has had any good experience with Auto Air colors. It looks like they have a primer, sealer and base coat that is all low VOC's but the clear coat I will have to get from another manufacturer which is OK. If anyone has any info or experience please let me know.

2. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    I have painted 2 bikes with it, no cars or full size vehicles yet. I really like it. you being in Cali helps because you need to get it pretty warm to set the paint. It is non-toxic but you still need to wear a resparator. And clean up is different and I don't have that figured out to good yet, solvents kind of turn it to jelly. I tried water and that was better but it still had to be cleaned better after, some one on a paint site said to use 409 cleaner which I will try the next time. I used Dupont primer and painted over that. They have some real cool colors. I also used Dupont clear, everything has worked out real good. I used Volcanac Red flake and Sparklescent Mango, really liked both of them. If I can help with a specific ? I will try, I'm no expert with this stuff but I like it and will use it more.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    For a inexpensive clear coat, look at U Tech. I've used this clear a lot and never had a problem with it.

4. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    that's great, I might give it a shot. But I was thinking of trying their primer, you think it'll hold up to corrosion? And u guys didn't have to bake the paint on did you?

I'll look into U tech, glad that you've had success with it.

5. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    No we didn't have to bake it on but I did runaround it with a heat gun becasue one bike I did was in the winter and of course it dries by evaporation. I think thier primers are probably just as good but I have not tried them. Give them a call, they were very friendly and helpful when I called, they will give you reccomended temps and other pointers. 1-800-509-6563. Most of all post some pics when you get a chance.