auto body questions

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Raging_Bull, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Raging_Bull

Raging_Bull Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick, 1960 ford f 100
    I'm painting my '76 2 door in my auto body class at my high school and I had a few questions about things that we've done to my car. My auto body teacher dug all the lead out of the c pillars and put fiberglass and bondo in and also i have a fiberglass grabber hood and now he put bondo on it also won't the bondo on the hood crack from the heat from the motor and i that the fiberglass on the c pillars will crack too from daily driving what's you guys' input on the subject.

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    My husband has been an autobody profesional for over 50 years. I showed him your post and he says that removing the lead from the pillers will not do any harm. He used to be a ' leadman ' back in days when lead was the way to go, but those days are long gone and the lead no longer needs to be there. The fiberglass and bondo should not crack on the pillers
    as long as it is used in moderation. Just be aware that a fiberglass hood will flex more than a steel one. There is always the potential for bondo to crack on a non steel hood, but as long as it is not applied real thick, you should be OK.

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    What was his reasoning for removing all the lead? When I had my car painted they also smoothed 1/4 panel to roof seam ... but as far as I know they did not remove the lead to do it ...

[​IMG]

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    From what my body guy says, he likes to remove it while doing the car to clean the joint out good, sometimes when its done at the factory they wern't too fussy, so it could start to pop out a bit, but thats up here in the North, I know the "A" pillars on my '74 need to be redone, it's swelled up a bit, and that car is pretty rust free.

5. Raging_Bull

Raging_Bull Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick, 1960 ford f 100
    he said that sometimes the lead starts popping out so it had to be taken out and then he starting grinding away

6. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    you would think after 30+ years,it would be in there pretty good. i left mine in there also.just smoothed it out better with body filler

7. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    I would have used a fiberglass reinforced filler or something like "metal to metal" filler. Regular fiberglass and bondo will crack sooner or later when its applied to metal. They just expand and contract differently to heat and cold. Even though the pillars wont move as much as other body panels, it would still concern me.
    I mean the point was to keep something from popping out later down the road right?