bad paint job?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by busyb187, Jul 3, 2011.

1. busyb187

busyb187 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 ford maverick v8
    hey guys i just did my first paint job and all by my self too... only problem is that you can see streeks in the cars paint... instead of looking solid, you can actually see the layers where the spray gun was being sprayed. an example is the door. i had to do about 5 lines to cover the door with paint, and in the finished job you can see those five sections it took me to paint that door. i whent over the entire car twice and still it has streaks all around. it kinda looks like i painted the car with a spray can... any ideas where i went wrong and how can i fix it??? if i repaint how can i do so it looks nicely painted, not crappy??? i have an air compresser on a hvlc or something like that gravity spray gun...

2. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    How far away were you holding the gun?

What kind of paint was it also.

3. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    I'm just new to this painting thing, but my questions would also be, how far away was your gun, what pressure did you spray at and what type of paint was it.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    i think they call it...tiger strips...mostly in...metillic paints.

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    You didn't control your overlap, it should be close to 50%.

6. Matterick

Matterick Matt Somerville

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302, 1971 Maverick
    I believe if your showing rows of where your passed over the door with the gun you need to literally hold the gun a little bit further back and mist it with really not much of a pattern so that everything evens out. Assuming this is a metallic paint?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  7. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Sounds like you had your spray pattern too small. Need to widen it out a bit, and like Dave said, overlap about 50% or so.

Find you an old hood or door to practice on, then once you get it looking to your liking, do the car.

8. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    Too small of a pattern, too hot of a hardener,painting in direct sun,too little feed, moving too fast. etc a lot of variables. If the color is a mettalic it is real easy to "tiger stripe" and isn't a goos choice for a beginer

9. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    All of the above as stated... Or...Debris in the air cap of your spray gun not allowing a full fan pattern. If you are shooting a metallic paint you should overlap passes 75 percent. Solid colors 50 percent and candie colors 80 percent. Gotta tune your gun properly and practice your tecnique and get consistent before you attempt a whole car. Depending on the paint you used, you may have to wait a month before trying to repaint it with out having the paint lift on you...Good luck.

10. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Cheap paint will also be very transparent and give it tiger strips. My friend painted his brother’s Comet and it took 2-1/2 gallons to get it to look right. If the paint was better quality it would had taken 1-1/4 gallons. The money his brother thought he was saving on a gallon of paint cost him twice the amount after labor and materials.

11. busyb187

busyb187 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 ford maverick v8
    Its not metallic is a solid color red. And yeah it kinda looks like tiger stripes... I believe the pressure read at 100psi and I was about 5 or 6 inches away...

12. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    WaaaYYY ToO MUcH Pressure!!!!!!!!
    Reds dont cover well to boot.
    I will assume for the purpose of this conversation you were useing an acrylic enamel??? Correct me if I am wrong.
    40 PSI at the regulator and what ever your gun requires at the tip...You stated it was an HVLP gun. They range from 8 to 20 psi at the gun/air cap depending on manufacturer. A regular gun will require 40 to 50 PSI at the gun for enamel. You should have a fan pattern that will allow you to lay down consistent passes with the gun 8 inches from the surface. At 100 PSI you would be blasting a panel from 2 feet away and wasting 80 percent of your paint material.

13. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    Quite positive your pressure along with being that close didn't help any issues.. Don't get me wrong..you can spray that close just not with that pressure. You might even have little bumps in your paint also but they wouldn't be too visible but you would be able to feel them if you ran your hand along it

14. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    Sounds like problem solved on how it happened. Next shot (other than repaint) might be wet sanding, buffing and polishing. Maybe even just buffing in progressive stages then polishing. I'd certainly give it a shot.