big bumper details

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by EFIMAV, Jun 3, 2006.

1. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick, FRPP 5.0, AOD, 3.80 equaloc
    Just thought I would pass on a little info about the big bumper cars. I have a 74 with the LDO rear bumper. It has a total of ten bolts, six with chrome heads and four below that hold the bumper to the bumper "frame". Four of the chrome bumper bolts can be seen from the rear and two are on the sides (one on each side) for a total of six chrome head bumper bolts. I recently bought a NOS 76 rear bumper. It is held on by a total of eight bolts, four along the bottom and four chrome bumper bolts in the same location as the 74 bolts that can be seen from the back. The newer bumper does NOT have the chrome bolt on each side. I noticed the 76 bumper has a different part number and I'm assuming that was the change. I'm not concerned but for those into the original restorations it may be an issue. If somebody has a 76 or 77 take a look at the rear bumper and see if there are any chrome bumper bolts on the sides to match the four along the back. So, 74-77 bumpers are not exactly interchangeable!

2. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    cleaning the bumpers

Also, a friend of mine works at a detail shop and he suggested using fine steel wool and rubbing compound to polish the old front bumper. It doesn't get the deep scratches out but those areas that are not damaged look very good. A 10 dollar solution to a rechromed bumper. It may not be quite as good as rechromed but it is very close.

3. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    my 75 only had 4 chrome bolts but i didnt like the huge clunky look so i switched it for the smal 69-72 kind

4. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    make sure you get all the steel wool particles off of any surfaces when you are done. i wouldnt use it unless you have bad rust that wont come off with just the rubbing compound and elbow grease. the steel wool works faster, but leaves behind micro particles that quickly attract rust.

5. EFIMAV

EFIMAV Member

Vehicle:
    I never considered the fine particles of steel wool. The bumper has a lot of pits from many years in the desert southwest sand storms so I'm not to concerned with the rust problem. Good thought when dealing with newer items.

6. sierra grabber

sierra grabber Certifiable

Vehicle:
    71 grabber red and black; 74 2dr LDO comet
    i hear that, wifes subaru isnt even a year old an im starting to see light sand blasting damage and already had to replace a windshield from a sandstorm driving up to reno. im glad the desert is more up that way, unfortunately thats the direction she works in.