Black-out paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by GrabberGT, Aug 11, 2004.

1. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    What kind of paint should be used for black-out stripes. I would like to put a stripe over my hood and trunk but want it to look blacked out. Would I use the same paint that was used for the tail panel. (GM chasis black) Or is there a special paint to use. Also would you clear-coat over this or would that make it glossy. Another thing. What would be the effect of clearcoating over the Grabber side stripes. Would they go from a matte finish to a gloss?

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I used Dupont Hot Hues Hot Rod Black on my car .. Single Stage urethane ... Anything out of a rattle can will not be very UV or Gas resistant ....

This was used to create my Hood Stripe, black out my stone guard and black out my rear panel on my 71 Grabber.

As stated in the PDF it was specifically made for old Ford an Mopar paint schemes.

http://www.hothues.dupont.com/PDF/E-R3838.pdf

If you are painting the side stripes on - clearing over them is OK. Why would you want to clear coat of Vinyl Stripes?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    It is recommended that you should not clearcoat over the vinyl stripes. As time goes by, the sun can cause the clearcoat to crack.