Blacked out trim

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Halebopp, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    without Comet now just keeping in touch
    When doing the headlight bezels etc and grill any things to do to prep? besides some sort of wax/ grease remover, what would you use, don't want that stuff peeling of my pristine grill on my comet, also how 'bout the trim around the windows etc, don't want to even bother if it will peel off how do you do these things to keep the paint from peeling off and chipping like just about every firebird/ camaro from the 80's I have ever seen.

2. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    painted bumpers,

Were your bumpers chromed? before they were painted?
    I have also planned someday to go all body color but didn't know how that was done on chrome bumpers.

Can you tell me specifically what product you used on the bumpers etc, do you have a pict of your car

3. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Nice ride, so you can paint over the chrome with this primer? tht is really cool, looks great to make them body color, thanks :clap:

4. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Here's a shot of mine. All bright trim was painted. Bumpers were sandblasted prior to paint, anodized trim was sprayed with etching primer. I have to be careful with the trim, it will chip and I've had to repaint a few pieces over the years. Bumpers seem to be bulletproof.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  5. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Blacket out trim

Sam Nice ride man , hey I see the corner of your '75 in your picture, In high school my first car was a cherry '75 Maverick 4 door white with dark blue vinyl top and blue cloth interior, I would still own that car today if it weren't for a Pinto with no brakes and a red light, who pushed my front end sideways about 12 inches, it really sucked and worse yet my next car was a '75 Cordoba... I really learned what crap Mopars are with that car, No offence to any closet mopar guys, I just pretty much despise Mopars, yeah their pretty fast , ... in a straight line.
    Anyway My Comet was really a find for me, I wasn't even lookin for a car when I bought it but ... I saw it in the paper took one look and Cha Ching it was mine. Finally gonna get started on a slow build. Mine has bigger bumpers but making them body color seems to minimize their appearance.
    Well any way thanks for the tips, sounds like a trip to have the bumpers sand blasted will be in my future.

6. wardf

wardf Ward Frahler

Vehicle:
    70 maverick
    Sam, I believe that is the first time I have ever seen a pic of your car. I like it alot, cool look with the black out trim!!!

7. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Thanks for the compliments, guys. Sorry for the lousy pic with all the glare but it's the only one I could fetch quickly. I plan to change the wheels on this car soon, I'll post new pics then.

Actually the reason I decided to go with painted trim stems from the fact that I was outraged at the time with what it would cost to re-chrome my skinny little bumpers. I've never been a cheapskate but I demand a good value for my dollar and I hate getting ripped off for something that I know does not cost near as much as the asking price.

I agree Hale, painting those big bumpers will tend to make them less noticable. I don't know if you have or plan to reuse the bumper guards or rub strips... If not, you can weld the holes shut beforehand for a nice clean look. Good luck!

Sam :)

8. RudyD

RudyD Pretend Mechanic.

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick.
    I remember seeing your car in readers rides.

9. Halebopp

Halebopp Member

Vehicle:
    Powder coating

I beleive powder coating involves baking the part, wouldn't that warp the trim? I know it would work on the big bumpers but the trim peices I would think would warp. no expert though

10. K. Brock

K. Brock Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Mav, 2dr, p/s, p/b, 302 w/tremec 3550
    From the reading I've done, it looks like temps in the 400 degree range are used to cure the powder coating. Some use an oven, some use infra-red lamps. The are some powders available for coating plastics and even wood. Do a google search for "powder coating". Lots of info out there on the subject.