body filler

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by david targhetta, Mar 17, 2003.

1. david targhetta

david targhetta member

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick w/ 302 V-8
    I am alittle concerned that my car is to much of a body filler car. I dont know how much filler is normal for a '77. How much filler is generally ok? I am about to complete the car and is has a bad spot on the passanger side fender, one on the front and rear passanger doors, one on the driver side quarter panel, and small ones on the drivers side doors! They are not real big on most of the spots and they are not filled past an 1/8 of an inch but i am still concerned that is has too much.

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Its near impossible to redo a car and not have body filler in it. The experts will tell you not to exceed 1/8" depth but I have see the stuff an inch thick before. If properly applied, you could never tell by looking at it and the stuff will outlast the car. Definately try to use as little as possible but follow the manufacturer's guidelines and dont worry about it too much. Also realize that if you use a quart on your whole car, probably at least 60% is dust on your floor.

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    As a rule, the less bodyfiller you use the better. If the dents can be worked out some, you will not need as much filler. I've seen cars with filler loaded in them an inch or more thick when all that needed to be done was to work the metal out some. Extremley thick amounts of filler will tend to crack in time.

4. david targhetta

david targhetta member

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick w/ 302 V-8
    Thanks for the replies. Well I guess I shouldnt worry about it too much. I will however keep a look out for other doors, but I think they are hard to find.

5. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    These guys are as right as can be. The less Bondo, the better, but in body work, it is realistically hard to avoid it at all. Also, use the best quality filler you can find. The stuff they sell at places like Wal Mart does not give you as good end results as professional quality, especially your finishing putties. Your best bet is to go to a body shop supply and take their advice on brand and type. Pay a few dollars more and get what you pay for. I do have a couple nice doors here for sale, but shipping is the problem and that's why I haven't advertised them. They are heavy and truck freight is very expensive. That's another reason why you don't see them often on eBay and elsewhere even though there are some around. It's a long way from here in Pennsylvania to New Mexico.