Body Panel Issues

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by LoxMan71, Aug 11, 2003.

1. LoxMan71

LoxMan71 Rice Its whats for dinner

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber and my DD a 2001 Focus ZX3
    I purchased a fiberglass front bumper, front gravel pan, and rear bumper from UP22.com and the pieces took 8 weeks to arrive. The two front pieces do not even come close to being "replacement" parts, they are going to require major work to even come close to fitting properly. My question is; should I call UP and discuss with them why the products do not fit properly or is it common knowledge that fiberglass products can require work to get them to fit correctly. Thanks

Brett

2. Lightning

Lightning Member

Vehicle:
    1971 comet GT
    Yea most fiberglass parts for Mavs and Comets look crappy when you get them . If the f- glass manufacturer doesn have a mold for the specific part you are looking for they make up a quick and dirty one ( if at all ) and send whatever comes out .

Your better off to just make some yourself most of the time .

3. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    Lightning hit upon a major issue with the entire aftermarket parts industry. Many reputable manufacturers make well fitting and functional replacement parts of all kinds. There are all too many that make ones that just don't fit or are poor quality. The fiberglass issue is one of the latter ones. You have good ones like Cerini that make good quality items, and ones that make poor items. Problem is that if you don't know who to go to, you take a chance. I'd address the issue to the manufacturer if it were me. You obviously spent good money for them and there is a reasonable expectation of fit and finish. I rarely take "NO" for an answer when I'm right and have had some good results as long as I take a pit-bull stance and don't give up. What do you have to lose?

4. LoxMan71

LoxMan71 Rice Its whats for dinner

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber and my DD a 2001 Focus ZX3
    nothing to lose really....guess I'll give them a call...........Thanks

Brett

5. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Fiberglass replacement panels have made leaps and bounds in improvements since I first messed with any in the 70's. I still will buy imperfect used parts than to deal with wavy and poor fitting fiberglass ones. However, I am impressed with many of the nice fitting hoods I am seeing. Price can be a good guide. If it seems cheap then it probably is.
    Dan

6. Todd

Todd Mavchanic

Vehicle:
    blue 70 two door
    What about the fiberglass grabber hoods from, dare i say, Maverick Connection? are the any good?

-Todd:)

7. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I dont think I have ever done any business with Maverick Connection. Since my Mav has never been restored, only maintiained I really have had no need for replacement body panels. I just did get an Auto Krafters catalogue and saw a fiberglass grabber hood they offered there. While I dont like the underside of fiberglass hoods, for a daily driver it sure would be the hell out of fixing a rusty metal one, and wouldnt rust out.
    Dan