body shop woes

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by xpsnake, Aug 14, 2004.

1. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    slight disaster today, harold called me to tell me that the sandblaster messed up my doors. the guy let his nephew blast the doors, he's good, but not as good as the guy himself, his inexperience showed in the waves my doors picked up. the good news is that harold's fixing the doors for free (hammer and dolly not 10lbs of bondo) since he put my trust in this guy. he's going to head down and talk to him tomorrow and find out what happened.small update: tomorrow I'll be removing my brakes, steering column, and headliner, the final pieces before starting to sand it down.

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I wish you luck but from my experience and believe me when I tell you, I have had a lot of blasting done over the years and I have done a lot of blasting. When a panel is warped from blasting, hammering and dollying does very little good. The metal will actually be stretched from the heat of the blaster and will likely require as much filler as it looks like it will. Whatever you do, don't let them sandblast your hood and deck lid. Plastic media blasting is the preferred way for sheetmetal and it doesn't cause warping.

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    ditto on that..unless Harold is a mesiah with a shrinking hammer it will be extremely hard to get it straight without bondo. I have sandlblasted many pieces in my time, never warped a panel yet. I am selective on what I blast. You have to know the limits of what type media you are blasting with. I would personally never sandblast a maverick door, media would be the choice for me.
    Dan

4. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I watched a guy one time get warping out of a hood by heating it with a torch then dripping cold water on it from a wet rag. Took awhile but it turned out ok.

5. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    Well, you're right about the filler, but it won't be much, just more than there ever should have been, (that means any). This is my first restoration project and I'm learning as I go, *shrugs* gotta find some things out the hard way.

6. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    The only thing I will sandblast is small stuff. Large panels I won't even try to use sand on. For one thing, there is the very real chance of warping the metal and for another, it's a real pain getting the sand out of everything. It's OK for getting rid of spots of rust, but I won't try it on a whole hood or door. There is a guy in the next town that uses baking soda for blasting. We sent some 56' ford pickup fenders out to him and when they came back, the metal was as smooth as glass. The only problem we found is if you don't get every speck of baking soda residue off the metal, the primer and paint won't stick worth a damn. That was our fault for not cleaning the fender jambs well enough, but other than that, the baking soda did a nice job of removing the rust. Has anyone else ever tried this method of sandblasting?

7. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Wonder how many boxes of Arm and Hammer you have to buy?

8. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Jean, I have heard of the soda blasting but have yet to see it. It does however seem to be getting more and more popular. We have a local blaster that does most of the blasting in the area and I expect he'll be trying it very soon himself. I have heard good things about it.

9. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    The only other parts being blasted are the bumper brackets, etc, and the entire underbody.

10. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    I did get a look at the doors today when I dropped off the mirrors and locks (so he can line everything up right the first time). Harold is going to weld two 1/4" nuts on the inside of the door so that I can mount the mirrors good and solid when I'm done. The doors have 3 spots, about 10 inches long, where about 1/16" to 1/8" max filler had to be put down, the 1/8" thickness is only in the very lowest spots, I was impressed with how much he removed with a hammer. Picking the doors up friday.

11. BIGbully

BIGbully Maverick Maniac

Your sandblast guy must be a solid dude. Most people would have sent you packin' with your warped door panels and never thought twice. Sure they messed up a bit but stood by with some integrity.(y)