Body work in the cold days ahead??

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Mavlover, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Mavlover

Mavlover Member

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick and 88 Ranger GT
    How low can the temp be for skimming body filler? I still lack quite a bit and I've heard that low temps will cause it to not set up right. Any tips on mixing the hardener in colder temps from you body guys?? I'm mainly skimming both rear quarters for blocking and filling around the T-bird taillights. Any help is appreciated!!
    Scott

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Here is what I do. The temperature of the metal is critical. If the metal is cold, the filler will harden on the outer surface exposed to the air before hardening down next to the metal and may cause moisture to be trapped between the metal and the filler. This will cause rust bubbling down the road and you will be right back at doing the bodywork again someday. Ideal metal temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees F. If you add too much hardener to the mix the filler will develope cracks, so make sure to follow manufacturers mix ratios for specific temperature if stated in their directions.

I use a couple heat lamps to make sure the metal is warm enough. When you put your bare hand on the metal it should be warm but not hot - hot is bad. Make sure to use a real good metal prep to promote adhesion. When the filler sets up stiff (like 3 minutes after application)- I turn the heat lamps off so it is not baking the filler. The heat lamps are only there to keep the metal warm for filler application.

Hope this helps .... :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008