Body work

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by BlackBelt, Aug 7, 2005.

1. BlackBelt

BlackBelt New Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I have started the body work on my 70 Mav. I am pulling out all the small dents with one of those pin welders and it works great. Almost fun. I need to grind the pin heads off and do not have a grinder. I am wondering if you more experienced body people have any suggestions about what size and type to get. I have three project cars all needing bodywork and plan an endless succession of cars so it should be a good quality one.

I also need to replace the rocker sheet metal on the drivers side and would like whatever tips I need to know. I know to remove the sill plate and drill out the spot welds and to drill out the spot welds on the seam on the bottom. Is there anything else?

The third thing is the flat box just in front of the rocker pamel and just behind the wheel well is mashed flat and I don't know what to do with it.

Thanks
    John Quinn

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Pick yourself up at least one 4" grinder. Then buy some of those flap disc in various grits. Eastwood sells them although you can usually find them cheaper else where.

3. Comet-73

Comet-73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 comet gt, 76 comet 4 door, 71 Maverick 200/I6
    WAIT if before you do that as long as you didnt hold the unispotter on there to long and compleatly weld the rivit to the metal u can just twist them off with a good set of plyers or a old set of wire cutters this method saves alot of time and no grinding. * when doing this grab the base of the rivit the little round part that is welded to the metal not the stem that the slide hammer attaches to*

when i use a unispotter i just almost tap the tigger u would be surpised how little time u have to hold the tigger down to get a good weld.

Im sorry mavaholic but i might dissagree with u on that when grinding them off i would use a small one like a angle die grinder with something like a 2" 50 grit grinding pad using something big is just creating more work for your self with a little one you can just focus on the the one spot and if you not carefull a big grinder can set u back to square one it could heat the metal up and with the pressure of u ginding them off pop the dent back in.

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Like I've been saying all my life, it dosent matter what size it is, its how you use it.

5. Comet-73

Comet-73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 comet gt, 76 comet 4 door, 71 Maverick 200/I6
    Very True.