Borrowed a gas mig from Rolandag2...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Aug 21, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    And after a short lesson from him on Sunday, I tried my hand at it during my lunch break today.

I have a line of 1/4" holes with a couple of 3/8" to fill in on my fenders and one door (donated from a comet with all the chrome trim removed). Before I hit my permanent metal, I took a chunk that I cut out of a donor hood (thanks again to fan2488) and drilled similar sized holes to practice filling in.

Needless to say, the gas mig is MUCH cleaner welding, and no spatter like my flux core.

I think I am comfortable at this point to take my fenders back off and give them a try.

I bought a 12" long 1" diameter copper tube, flattened about 6" of it, folded the flat part over on itself 3 times for a heat sink to use at the back of the holes. The couple of messier welds are where I moved the copper and lost my backing. If i keep in on there good, the welds look like perfect little beads.

Sorry for the poor pics, but lighting was poor,and if the flash went off it glared off the cleaned up metal.

2. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    The gas is the best!!!! It is so easy

3. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I just came in from finishing it...Filled in all the trim holes on both fenders, even under the wheel well, then the holes on the passenger door (it is from the comet, the driver door is stock). Sure was easy, plus, I was able to keep the garage door closed with the A/C on and not smoke myself out.

I am either going to buy a small bottle and tap it into the chrome fitting at the end of my welder (does not accept gas from the factory) or look into another welder. Roland says there is one at a local pawn shop, but I would rather pay new-price for a new welder, not a used one (our pawn shops tend to price their stuff same as new stuff).

What would happen if I used the solid core without gas? Just wondering...

4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I looked into tapping gas into my welder, but since it does not have the trigger activation for the gas, it will be "gassing" all the time, and will run my bottle empty too soon. So, I will sell my Harbor Freight welder and save up for one with gas capability. There is just no comparison. Much easier, better beads, no fumes, I don't know...just a completely different and positive welding experience. AND I am NOT a good or very experienced welder.

Does anyone know what would happen if I ran non-fluxed wire through my non-gas welder?

The flux appears to be what is making a mess of my welds....

5. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I think you need the flux to aid in the bonding.
    Dan

6. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I have some scrap metal...I just might try it, and see what happens.

But, I will assume that they have added flux all these years for SOME reason...

7. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    You have to have flux for it to work.

I have a Lincoln 100HD. I installed a kit you can buy for it. Comes with a solenoid and everything except the tank/gas. What is the brand and model you have again?

8. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I was brazing a fuel line coupler on my Model A last year. I could not get it to work correctly and got frustrated. Forgot that I did not add flux prior to the braze. Worked after that. But you might try it, would be interesting to see what happens. If we dont hear from you, we will know you melted or something, lol.
    Dan

9. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    You will get an extremely "burnt" looking weld and it will be brittle due to the oxidation.

10. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Yep, that is what I got. I was trying to shoot the weld into a tight spot about 2-3 inches past the tip of the gun, and it worked, but it didn't want to puddle up, so I got really dark, almost spherical blobs that would have to really be ground down to look anything like a weld.

Luckily, this was on the bottom of the tab that holds the back of the fender on, behind the door, so noone will ever see it. I think it will be functional, so I am not worrying about it.

Honestly, though, it is still a better looking weld than what I get with the flux core...I just doubt it will last long, as it looks rusty already.

11. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Flux does two things, keeps the weld clean by "floating" impurities to the top of the molten metal (the crusty "dirt" you clean off your welds) and it protects the molten metal from combining with oxygen in the air. Without a shielding gas or flux, the oxygen will mix with the molten metal and cause a brittle weld.

Even if you switch over to gas, you may want to keep some of the flux wire around. You can use it if you ever weld outside on a windy day. The flux wire will protect your welds when the wind blows the gas shielding away. (y)

12. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    What would happen if I used flux-core AND gas at the same time? Any improvement to the weld or benefit?

Also, for anyone with good welding experience, especially with flux core, can you make flux core weld a good bead, or will it always spatter?

I will probably keep my flux core welder, just not use it for sheet metal. It works great for thicker stuff.

13. rolandag2

rolandag2 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick Grabber
    welding

hey scoop man I'm glad you got your fenders welded. oh by the way just stick to using wire with gas and give up flux core wire no good heck i would rather weld with stick than flux core or even with small brazing tip flux core wire is an unneccessary evil that must be destroyed. also that welding machine that i seen at that pwn shop was brand spanking new and i believe it was cheaper there than buying it new. you should swing by and look at it when you get a chance. hey just putting feelers out I might be wanting to sell my car and engine and all other accessories that i have that go on the car. tell me what you think. I just dont have time to work on it with all the time i work.:huh:

14. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    DO NOT SELL IT...You will regret it later.

You have a really good setup, and need to finish the project. Sell it afterwards, if you are not impressed with the performance, but right now, you have a really good setup, and us on the forum are anxious to see it all put together.

Next time I go to Specks on that side of town, or Grand Buffet (all you can eat Sushi right across the street) I will stop in and check it out.

By the way...I don't have your number, so give me a call (keep in mind at 3:30pm Saturday, I have had three glasses of wine, so the later you call, the more...less...functional(?) I will be. OR, I may be in the Hottub. :dance:

Plus, Rob Zombie concert tomorrow at Woodlands, so I may not be available then (Zombie is not my choice, but my 5-yr old nephew...he said "DAD, Call uncle scott and tell him to come"...yep, strange family, but only on my wife's side....No, I take that back, my side is quite odd also. :yikes:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  15. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Do not know if you would benefit from using both. I think you would just be wasting gas.

I have quite a bit of time on a gasless flux core welder and am good with it. Mine will go up to 125 amp, and the hotter you can burn into the metal without burning through the better. They will never be the same as a nice Miller MIG but with practice, you can get a decent looking bead, with practice, clean metal, and - oh did I mention practice? :)