BROKEN PARTS AND THE PROPER PACKAGING OF PARTS.....

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by tim blum, Dec 1, 2017.

1. tim blum

tim blum Member

Vehicle:
    1970 pro street maverick
    To say i am upset is a understatement. I simply cant comprehend this problem.... I have purchased a total of 15 dash cluster cores from this forum in the last 3 weeks at a cost of over 600.00 and only 4 of the clusters have showed up restorable, the rest in pieces. My problem is this, i can handle parts getting damaged in shipping because it happens all of the time. You receive a box and the box has been smashed and before you open it you just know that what is inside is damaged. What i cant accept is if the parts were damage from poor packaging. To me and my 11 year old son, 40 year old plastic parts need to be bubble wrapped and then have protective filler such as foam peanuts, news paper, bubble wrap what ever. You can not take 2, 3, 4 clusters and wrap them and then lay them on top of each other loose in a box.... why you ask???? this is why. The clusters will bounce around in a loose box and break. If they are wrapped good and packed tight with protection, 9 out of 10 times even if the box gets smashed, they will show up unbroken. Now i have shipped over 100 restored clusters all around the country, not 1 cluster has showed up broken. I have shipped 2, 3, and 4 at a time in the same box, not 1 has showed up broken. Sorry but there is no excuse. I have had people say oh well that's the dam post office for you, or well you know how rough UPS is with packages. NO THAT'S WRONG, the boxes that have showed up to me were not damaged in any way. THESE PARTS BROKE FROM POOR PACKAGING..... If your going to take someones money and charge them for packaging then package the parts properly. I have had a few members send me clusters that have been very nice and packed very well, i have responded to those members letting them know how nice of a job they did. BUT OVER 75% have showed up broken and poorly packed. THIS AFTER I STATED SEVERAL TIMES, PLEASE PACK CLUSTERS REAL GOOD OR THEY WILL BREAK. I even told people that i have been receiving broken clusters so please pack them real good. the pictures i am posting is of a box that i received today .... 4 clusters in one box.... this after i told the person to pack them real good because the last 2 boxes i received had broken parts. SORRY BUT NO EXCUSE!!!

Attached Files:

2. tim blum

tim blum Member

Vehicle:
    1970 pro street maverick
    This is what i am able to use after 600.00

Attached Files:

3. tim blum

tim blum Member

Vehicle:
    1970 pro street maverick
    This is some of what is not usable....

Attached Files:

4. tim blum

tim blum Member

Vehicle:
    1970 pro street maverick
    This is how i pack my clusters. This is packaging for 1 cluster. I buy a box for 2.50.... Then i buy a roll of bubble wrap from wal mart for 16.00.... I can wrap 4 cores from one roll. I make the box, i put a layer of bubble wrap at bottom of box, then i take the cluster and i roll the cluster horizontally, then i roll it vertically. I tape all the corners and place the cluster in the box. Then i place bubble wrap and news paper around the cluster until it fits tight. Then i put bubble wrap on top with paper nice and snug. I tape the box up and BOOM i am done..... Takes me 15 minutes.... I charge 15.95 to ship in the united states. that's shipping and boxing and insurance....

Attached Files:

5. tim blum

tim blum Member

Vehicle:
    1970 pro street maverick
    And that kids is how this big boy and all grown ups should properly wrap parts. yeah i know it seems sad, but since i keep getting parts shipped to me poorly wrapped, boxed, and broken, i figured a good how to wrap parts class was just what was needed.

RMiller likes this.
  6. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Could you come teach my guys at work? Thankfully we rarely ship anything fragile!

Static likes this.
  7. tim blum

tim blum Member

Vehicle:
    1970 pro street maverick

8. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Boy isn't that the truth!

9. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I have a folder on my computer labeled: "Boxing Hall Of Shame". It has lots of pictures of what people think is good packaging.

Here is a picture of (4) aluminum wheels just as I opened it. It was actually sent BACK to the sender because of a lack of packing skills, so this was after he fixed the initial packing issues. :huh:

This is ALL that was in the box. The packing material you see is what there is.

wheels 3.jpg

The 4th wheel is at the bottom of this pile of 3.

10. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    The nose chrome you received was a better example. I really dont see a problem with this packaging other that the weight unless the wheels were brand new they probably needed work done to them anyway. I never would have shipped 4 wheels together though as that is an accident waiting to happen especially with a box that has issues to begin with. I would have at least put some cardboard between them. Delivery driver would have had an issue due to size and weight.

11. tim blum

tim blum Member

Vehicle:
    1970 pro street maverick
    Here is the real problem, so many people do it. Then when you say something about the poor packaging, they say no it was the company that delivered the parts. I mean they argue with you and say, well those parts are just too hard to ship. Or the only way to make sure they don't break is to ship them one by one???? Then i say no, sorry it was because you poorly packaged the parts.....

12. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    I have only shipped one set of wheels and I did two per a package. I used the thick, corrugated cardboard (1 1/2 thick) on each side and between the wheels with packing in the voids. Made it to the destination with zero issues.

There's a reason they give packaging requirements, too bad shippers don't understand that.:slap: You rarely see a properly packaged box damaged, when done right they are capable of having stuff stacked on them and surviving the ride on our high quality roadways! I'm going to look at my clusters and see what I have, I plan to follow suit with the others that have built their own and won't need what I have. Pretty sure they would all fall under parts though.

On another subject, do you do other clusters? If so I have one you might be interested in, I bought it with the intent of butchering it for the Maverick but can't do it. There can't be too many out there so I would rather find it a new home in the proper car. It's a rally dash from a 72 Torino, it does have one broken tab which is present and the numbers on the trip odometer aren't great but the rest is decent. Might be another one that would be for parts considering the quality you turn out but wanted o throw it out there for consideration.

Torino cluster1.jpg Torino cluster2.jpg

13. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
  14. tgeary

tgeary Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick grabber
    Tim,

Some people just don't care.

I have recently shipped a 120 MPH cluster to Milton Vermont, he got it in 3 days and said everything was perfect. I have even sent a dash pad from a 73 Mav, packed by Fed Ex. no problems.

You should report those individuals to the powers to be on this site

Hope you have better luck in the future.

15. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    When I ship out long parts, like hood lip moldings, the buyer gets a bonus 4' piece of a 2 x 6. :D