Building a sub speaker enclosure...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Craig Selvey, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Now nobody fall over out there.........but I started back working on the orange Maverick today. Didn't think it would involve a circular saw, a router, and a 3/4 piece of particle board....did ya!!

Here are a couple of pictures. This will be a divider between the trunk and the interior...where the 12" MTX dual voice coil sub will be mounted...facing into the trunk along with a "air tube". I still have to cover it with carpet.

The first picture shows the side that faces the interior. This will fit behind the rear seat. It took me seveal hours to come up with the perfect fit. Made a proto type...but it was only an inch tall above the speaker at the top....very weak. As you can see........this one is a little taller in that area.

Attached Files:

2. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Here is the back side that faces into the trunk. This will be covered with black carpet. I had to router out where the braces are in the trunk in order to get the board to fit flush. It fits pretty flush all around the outside. I have glued down some carpeting "jute" around the outside where the gaps are too large. Once the carpet is on...it should help it seal.

Now this isn't built for acoustics......but for function......fit behind a back seat and totally invisible without taking up any valuable trunk space.

Attached Files:

3. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    So what your really trying to say is, your Mav has the super rare vibrateing rear seat option. (y)

4. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Sounds like your Grabber is a getting a "Overhaulin'" treatment done to it! :)

I just saw the one they did on the Dodge Challenger ... very nice ....

5. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    I'm curious on how it is gonna sound. You probably did not need the hole for the port since you are using the trunk as your box. I hope you are not going to waste a good system on some bad music. A good system needs some "metal".

6. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    Let's see.....Keel, Brittnay Fox, Bullet Boys....just to name a few!!

P.S. Oh yeah....Kingdom Come.

7. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Hair bands rule!! Glad to hear it!!

8. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4
    Graig I was thinking on doing something like that...if you made a template, would you send me a copy of it.....thanks..Jim

9. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    That port wont really be necessary in a Mav,, probably thump better without it. Rock on!!! But what do I know,, I got the stock radio in my Stallion,,, the engine is my song.
    Dan

10. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    I figured it:

-Would look neat

-Would help alleviate pressure instead of the rear package tray or the rear defrost.

11. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Cool.

I did something similar, sorta dual function.

1) took the back seat out, since only my dog rides back there, and she was beginning to wear through the material. Wanted to keep rear seat stock, for later upholstering.

2) made a flat plywood platform, carpeted, so the dog wouldn't slide around, and she could still get her nose out the window (MOST IMPORTANT!!! :p )

3) when I want to put in a speaker(s), I could cut the hole in the back and be done with it.

12. Margandc

Margandc Member

Vehicle:
    75 Maverick 2dr
    Craig I've made sub boxes before. First off I know there's a calculator online somewhere that will help you calculate the exact volume your box should be for your subwoofer to sound perfect. Also I'm not sure if particle board is the same as medium density fiberboard but that stuff is the best for subs. Another option is to not port your box because if you dont it will protect your subs better and still sound good. Just a few thoughts. You're only putting one sub in right???

13. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    One sub.

I know all about box volume and all that...just didn't want to mess with it. It won't sound "perfect".......but it should give it a little more thump.

14. Margandc

Margandc Member

Vehicle:
    75 Maverick 2dr
    yea it will still sound good. And from the looks of it, it will look good(y)
    Cant wait to see the finished product.

15. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    That's cool. I would have posted sooner, but I fell over and just now got back up. :biglaugh: