Bumper boyz...question

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by lngroller, Apr 1, 2011.

1. lngroller

lngroller Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 2dr 250
    Ok, I know they have a terrible reputation but my question has more to do with buying outright from them. I have been given a price, I have it in writing in an email for front and rear small bumpers for my Comet. The price is about what I'd expect to pay for a good straight bumper, just slightly higher. Even given that their rechroming is not that good. I was thinking I'd have at least a nicer looking bumper then most I would buy used and could later have it rechromed by someone better. I'm thinking that a bad rechroime job won't mean anything to the next people chroming. Is there a flaw in this thinking? Would a bad chrome job make it harder to do a better chrome job later?

I do have to nail them down on shipping in writing so they may still get me on that and nix the deal.

2. socalcomet

socalcomet Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet

They are close to me and I decided I won't use them after doing some research. You would be better off using someone closer that's been proven by members here. If you do a thread search you'll find some recent discussion on the subject. Here's examples: http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=76446

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=75496&highlight=bumper

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=75599&highlight=chrome+bumper

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  3. lngroller

lngroller Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 2dr 250
    Sorry, I may not have been clear, I do not have small bumpers now and Bumper Boyz will sell me a set outright for about the same as I can buy used bumpers that need rechroming. Bumper Boyz bumpers will have their crappy rechrome job. My question is if a bad rechrome can in anyway affect a future rechrome? My thought being even a bad rechrome will be better then a used 37 yr old bumper not rechromed and they should be straight.

4. socalcomet

socalcomet Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    Oops...since the early Comet bumpers are hard to get it may be a good option...I would wait to see who else chime in. There are always other options.

5. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 Door Sport Sedan Grabber
    How soon are you needing this done? I might know of a set or two that you could send off. Shipping bumpers etc though plus cost of rechroming from someone will really add up. But not sure what you are going to pay these guys.
    On another note, I think I saw AutoKrafters has some with prices for both with or without cores if I recall. Anyone else add to that/ know?

6. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Check B-Boyz web page and see if there is a major swap meet in your area that they will be at. I have bought bumpers from them outright before at the Jefferson Show and I was able to pick through what they had and find some acceptable ones. I think your idea is sound, that you are willing to accept a lower quality bumper instead of buying used ones. But if you can pick through what they have in person you may find ones with decent chrome that would not need to be redone again.

7. lngroller

lngroller Member

Vehicle:
    74 Comet 2dr 250
    I very much doubt I can find anything used that is straight with good chrome. So I'm assuming I'm comparing at best straight needing rechromed used, to at worse straight and bad rechrome but starting out looking better then anything i can find used. Hope I am clear.

When you say lower quality bumper, you mean lower quality chrome, correct?

8. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod

Yes. Workmanship on any repairs, twists to bumper, and thickness of plating both the copper and the chrome. All less in quality then say a Tri-City bumper. But like I said, if you have an opportunity to pick through their stock, you might find a good one.