Buyer's Guide?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by BigRix, Sep 6, 2023.

1. BigRix

BigRix Member

Vehicle:
    Fords
    I'm looking to buy a Maverick and was wondering if there is a buyer's guide somewhere.
    I have lots of questions but as always when I am researching something new, I find a lot of the answers myself.
    I figured it couldn't hurt to ask a few here.
    First, what I am looking for.

I'm looking for something with a fairly straight body and no rust, or minimal rust. Keep in mind, I live it AZ so my definition of minimal rust my be different from yours. Interior is all there and hopefully not too worn out that I couldn't live with it for a while. Small bumpers or one that has been previously converted. V8 preferred or at least 5 lug already like some with the 250 CID engine. I plan to run a small block with not too much power so that it wouldn't require further mods to support said power. Paint that is all one color would be nice but not a requirement. Goal is a clean, mostly stock looking, reliable driver, not a restoration.

What would someone expect to pay for something like this? I see prices that are all over the place and don't seam to follow much of a theme.

Would it be worth converting a clean 4 lug car vs finding a v8 car?

I'm not a huge fan of the Comet body style. Would it be sacrilege to convert one to a Maverick?

Pictured is my current project which is nearing its conclusion. My dad's 64 Ranchero. Original 260 v8 4 speed with bucket seats. Got things dialed in and it drives great and is finally reliable. Perfect for hauling light loads and the paint is just bad enough that I don't sweat where I park it of if it gets a new scratch. I would love to find a Maverick project in similar condition.

Attached Files:

2. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Not aware of a buyers guide, but you are definitely in a good place to find a good, low rust vehicle. Unfortunately for us down here, the interiors are usually toast. But that is something that is more easily replaced than a floor pan or quarter panels. I see them come up pretty regularly on Craigslist and Facebook market place.

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    All from '73 up are five lug. All with 6cyl(incl 250) '72-earler are four lug.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber