Can a bunch of you Chime in and give me a high and low range

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by DaMadman, Feb 4, 2008.

1. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    On getting a Maverick painted??? Of course I know that if I wanted to I could spend many thousands on a paint job, if I were so inclined and had that kind os Cha-Ching to throw around but I mean a reasonably priced decent lookign paint job. Something that I won't be ashamed to go to a local car show but won't be scared to death to drive the car for fear of getting a pebble chip on it....

You know not a Earle Schibe (you tape the car yourself in the parking lot) but not a Barrett Jackson paint job either.

I know some of you guys have paid to have your cars painted... What did it cost you ???

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    I won't be much help as a friend painted mine for $600 and did some bodywork too. I'm interested too as i want to see what it's going to cost me to paint the sprint.:)

3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    You don't want to know, it's not what your looking for.

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Guess i'll go back to my buddy then.:D

5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Are they doing body work? Or just Paint and Prep? If the panels are already Smooth and they are just sanding, sealing, priming and painting ... I would say $4K to $6K for a two-stage paint that is nice enough to show off at car shows ...

I paid $4,000 to have mine painted 5 years ago ... that including smoothing out all the dings and smoothing all the panels. Car had original paint and they did not strip it down to metal ... just scuffed, sealed, primed and painted. He also painted the hood stripes and rear panel black.

Just last month the same guy painted a 68 Mustang that was in a bit worse shape than mine and charged they guy $6,000 ... only surface rust and dings ... no rot repair.

6. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    $5000 for a fairly straight car for me. I also included a few things like removal of side marker lights, losing the antenae mounting hole etc.. 2 stage paint job.

7. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    One thing Dan Hines didn't mention is that he had to disassemble and reassemble the car.....that saves money.

I would say you can get a decent cruiser paint job for $1500 to $2000. You would have to do most, if not all, of the prep work....as far as disassembly and reassembly.

A really nice paint job will run at least $4500 to $6000....again, with you doing the prep and reassembly (as Dan Hines and myself did)

8. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    my friend just got a run of the mill macco $600 job on his 77 caprice.

i could have done better with rattle cans...

9. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    keep the opinions and personal experiences coming guys this is just what I was looking for.

Right now I am leaning toward buying a nice compressor and a decent paint gun and talking my cousin into shooting the paint for me. He used to do body work and paint cars. I think the compressor, paint gun and other assorted supplies will prolly run about the same price as a decent paint job and when I am done I will still have the compressor to use for other stuff.

I would still like to hear more from anyone that has had their car painted in the last couple years because if my plan doesn't pan out I will be headed to a local shop to get her painted.

As far as body work and such I am pretty handy with it so I would more than likely get the car pretty close to ready for paint myself and then just have whoever paints it do very minor touch up work and then prime and paint the car. Not sure that I want base coat/clear coat... I am very old school when it comes to how I like my paint to look and I hate it whe a paint job looks like the car was painted with color and then you can tell that the color is under a thick layer of clear. I like it much better when you can tell that it is the paint it's self that is shining.

I was thinking more along the line of shooting it with acrylic enamel. That is what my old Blue Maverick was painted with and I loved how that car shined when it was cleaned and waxed

10. Ronald Hopkins

Ronald Hopkins Member Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I had my comet painted 2 years ago. I changed the color from tan to black. I did all the door jams, under the hood and trunk myself. Had two small rust spots behind the rear tires in the rear quarters repaired and painted with base coat clear coat. It cost me $4000.00.

11. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Good point ...

I basically brought them the stripped shell ... no glass, no interior, no bumpers, front end, etc. They did remove the doors, decklid and hood to paint them off the car. I already had the valances removed.

After paint they helped me hang the doors, fenders, decklid and hood and get all the gaps as perfect as possible. While at the shop I paid someone to install a new headliner and install a new windshield.

Keep in mind with a good paint job you might as well replace the glass/and or gaskets and also the headliner while the glass is out ... something else to put in your paint budget.

12. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    I'm gonna have to paint my own,no way can I shell out that kind of cash for paint.I have 2 friends who had their cars done similiar to Dan & Craigs cars,one was a '65 Impala done in base/clear black(5000)and a '70 Maverick done in a burnt orange(5-6000 on it)so around 5k seems to be the norm for NICE paint.

13. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    I've got $4,000 in all the sheet metal repair, body work, and paint on my '77 Maverick.

Oh! I stripped the car, too. I had wonderful help from Jamie and Earl. I only had to buy them breakfast.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  14. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
  15. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Just remember,If you use enamel,your environment for painting must be SPOTLESS.Any dust,bugs(you will get bugs they love the smell)will be preserved for all posterity.If you use a catalyst(hardener) you will be a little better off.You can color sand/buff catalized enamel(to a degree)but it kills the luster a bit(gets milky)Two part paint systems are superrior to acrylic enamel in both luster and durability these days.I would suggest that if you are not painting in a spray booth use the 2 part(base/clear)its easy to repair along the way(while your painting) and you can easily sand out dirt,bugs,runs from the clear coat.If you can do body work,you can color sand(buffing requires some familiarity)but it will give you that show and shine finish that you want and you can do it yourself and have it look very good when done.The biggest hurdle with 2 part paint is the fumes are very very bad for you.You need a fresh air respirator to be able to linger in the booth/garage while painting.You can do with out but you better have reeal good ventilation,and spend no more time than absolutely necessary in the paint environment.Hope this helps you out,Pete.