Can Any Paint Be Mixed as a Metallic?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Acornridgeman, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I've been looking through some paint chips and I have a question. Can any paint color be mixed as a metallic paint? I've found a couple colors that I like, but they are plain and I wanted a metallic.

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Yes, the paint supplier can add metallic in any color you choose. The big problem is that there are several different colors of metallic and the more you put in the more the color will change (can be very drastic). For example, a silver metallic will lighten up any darker colors. Like I said though, there are several different shades of metallic so it would be a trial and error process to come up with what you want. The person mixing the paint would also need to be able to document exactly what he does so that he can duplicate it when needed. You never know when you might get a scratch and have to do a little repainting. If you can't match it, you've got a big problem. It's best if you can pick out a color chip you like instead of customizing one just for this reason. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

3. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Thanks Ray,
    Good point about the ability to match it again, using a custom mix. I'll sit down with the full book of chips and see if I can come up with a ready made metallic.

4. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    That is a thought too, but it might not work for what I'm doing. I planned on shooting all the interior metal, inside of trunk, trunk lid and hood bottoms, door jams, ect, myself with a single stage. Then all the exterior surfaces would be shot by a pro with 2 stage paint. If the metallic is not in the single as well, it wouldn't look right.