caprice taillight mod

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by FIREBALL, Aug 5, 2014.

1. FIREBALL

FIREBALL Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick Grabber
    Okay I'm sure it's been asked many times, but I'll do it again.....moderators if rhis n is the wrong forum feel free to move...

I have two sets of taillights, a set of 69 Shelby lights and a set of 67 Caprice lights. To install the shelby lights properly I need to do some customizing on the taillight panel, but it appears the caprice lights can be more easily installed at least until I can get around to doing the shelby taillights this winter. What do I need to do to get the car home Caprice bezels to sit flat against the maverick taillight panel? They appear to want to sit out about 1/16" do to the factory casting. Also where can I get some light sockets for the caprice lights? Will 60's Ford push - in sockets work?

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    I have the Caprice taillights and they do stick out a little bit more than a 1/16", I could not figure away to get them to sit flush in the hole I know that mav1970 was working on this problem but have not heard if he ever found a solution. They do not look bad sticking out I simply put some clear caulking around them. As for the sockets yes the push in type will work.

You will have to cut a slot in the taillight panel about 2 1/2" wide and about 4-5 inches long. When you do the mod you should get the sequential taillight sequencer and install it I get a lot of compliments about that mod

FIREBALL likes this.
  3. FIREBALL

FIREBALL Member

Vehicle:
    Yes i plan on getting a digital sequencer......I love the look of the lights with the sequencer.

yellow75 likes this.
  4. yellow75

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    When I did my conversion I ran a new power wire to the trunk area and added three relays it made the taillights brighter and did not have to worry about the extra load of 2 additional bulbs in the back and old wiring, not really needed but a nice touch, sorta like the headlight relay mod

FIREBALL likes this.
  5. FIREBALL

FIREBALL Member

Vehicle:
    Mike do you have a diagram of your modification? Are you saying you built your own sequencer out of relays? If so I'd like to see a diagram.....I may do the same......

6. yellow75

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    No I used the sequencer to operate the relays, I do have a diagram but havent figured away to post it on here. It is pretty simple to do if you understand normally open and normally closed contacts. I will see if I can get a copy made and post it up in the tech section and here

FIREBALL likes this.
  7. doncomfort

doncomfort MCCI Membership Director

Vehicle:
    74 maverick convertible, 72 Sprint
    I ran thin quarter inch thick foam rubber under the back of the bezel to fill and seal the small gap. I also have sequencers, love them,

8. Wilbur Green

Wilbur Green Member

Vehicle:
    76Stallion, 762dr.
    Mike your taillights are awesome, relay bright when we followed at the Gathering.

9. yellow75

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I posted a very rough diagram of wiring needed to install relays in the tech section, I had a very nice drawn up one with straight lines but seem to have misplaced it

10. FIREBALL

FIREBALL Member

Vehicle:
    I saw that, thanks! I'll probably refine it a little so that the relays only power up when the ignition is on.....great idea for brighter taillights!

Thanks again brother.....