car starting issue

Discussion in 'Audio' started by nysean91, Aug 19, 2013.

1. nysean91

nysean91 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 ford maverick
    Ok so ive hooked up a sound system in the car. I had an amp and 2 subs. Now like an idiot on accident I left music in too long without the car started and killed the battery. Now I went to jump the car whoch you always try first and I got nothing. So I was confused I started messibg with battery wires and noticed negative wire was a little loose. I tightened it and the car started.drove car fine w.e. later on went to walmart and came bak out and car wouldnt start. I tightened neg term again and got nothing. I tightened so much I broke the metal piece and had to run into walmart nd buy a new one and still got nothing wen trying to start. An occasional click. Tightenin the pos side I did same thing and broke it went bought new and nothing. I read about the starter being seizEd or jammed and tapped it a few times while my girl tried to start and got it to start. Wen I got home tho the car wouldnt shut off until I turned key forward to grind gears and then it shut off. I tooked power cord off from amp at walmart thinkin tht was prob so wen I got home I put it bak on tried to start the car and it started but started freaking out over reving at a constant rising rate with no pressure to gas petal and than wouldnt shut off till I turn key off n on couple times. I took amp cord off and its worked fine I think since.

Any ideas if my sound system could be affecting the starter or is it jus a coinxidince and the starter is goin bad or what. Ive never had this happen puttin a system in.

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    All depends on how you wired everything.

3. nysean91

nysean91 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 ford maverick
    Only thing to the battery is power cable. The head unit I used exisitng wire for power and the big yellow ignition wire for switched

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Isn't the Yellow wire always hot? I thought it fed the ignition switch?

5. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    unhook everything charge your battery and make sure your battery posts are clean then hook up your battery cables back up drive it around the block a few times and see if you have any more problems like before. if not then you know you hooked something up wrong.

Ive never heard of a stereo system causing a car to not turn off or making the engine rev up on its own. on the rev part are you sure its not the stereo picking up a feedback sound? or whatever you call that whining noise that some stereos get when theyre not hooked up just right.
    if the motor is speeding up in park thats definitely not the radio.

6. schroensr

schroensr knight Runner

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Mercury Comet
    Yellow is memory cable. Red is hot wire.