Carpet ***help***

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by MaverickLVR, Jun 2, 2013.

1. MaverickLVR

MaverickLVR takes longer then you think...

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick Stallion, 1967 Olds Delmont convertible, 1999 Harley FatBoy
    Soooooo.......

I am sure this has been talked to death on here, but I cant find an appropriate thread on it when I searched so I will just ask :hmmm:

I bought the stock interiors carpet for my 76 and am finally getting around to the fit part of the project. I did the peel and seal like y'all suggested (y)

now comes the question. while on first glance the carpet appears to be moulded and "pre-fitted" i have found that to be a bit deceptive upon installation. I still have the carpet sitting in the car and haven't cut or trimmed yet because I thought I would get some advice like, HOW DO YOU MAKE IT FIT! lol

I mean it fits, but it doesnt FIT. how have you guys made the carpet look and fit so well in your cars? tips? tricks? it just seems a bit loose & poofey? I am sure I am not describing it very well but I am also sure y'all know what I mean ;)

so did any of you tack or glue your carpet in any way or maybe some other secret installation trick I am missing? :huh:

as always your help is greatly appreciated! :thumbs2:

2. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Find and mark centerline of floor and carpet. this will keep you center left to right. Other than that I did nothing more but added extra padding on floor and double padding on hump

3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Let it sit in the hot sun for an hour...This will soften it up and allow it to conform to the floor pan better.You can also use a steamer to help the wrinkles fade away once its in the car. If you are worried about cutting it...Dont trim it till you have the seats bolted down and remember to leave 3/4 of an inch more than you think you need around the edges. Use a good sharp awl/pointy poker of your choice for the seat belt holes OR a sharp knife (cut a small X for the bolts to pass through) Measure twice cut once applies here...Good luck!!!

4. mrmalina99

mrmalina99 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    The sun trick helps. I just went through this on my truck it took it a couple months before it looked perfect, every hot day the carpet seemed to mold a little better.