Changing Door Handle Color, Part II

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Hawkco, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    After learning that the Duplicolor vinyl paint can rub off the first door handles I painted, I got smart. I will list the steps below and put the corresponding picture number at the end of the description. The pics will be number 1 to 5 going left to right.

1. These door handles were nasty. I scrubbed them using an SOS pad, ammonia/water solution and a rag, and a Mr. Clean Miracle Eraser. Once they were clean, I taped the chrome pieces and cleaned them with 3M Adhesive, Wax, and Mark remover. I wore blue rubber-type gloves while applying the remover. (picture 1)

2. The next step was to use Pro Color Dye Vinyl Prep made by PRO Products, Inc. I bought this from Melvin's Classic Ford Parts, Conyers, GA. This stuff goes on clear and dries clear. It is supposed to make the vinyl/plastic/similar substance surface ready to accept primer and paint. (picture 2).

3. After allowing the handles to dry according to the insturctions on the vinyl prep, I sprayed them with SEM 39133 Flexible Primer Surface. (picture 3).

4. The primer dries to a less than smooth touch. I lightly sanded the surface with 320 grit (per instructions). (picture 4)

5. I sprayed a second coat of the SEM primer on the handles. I will get some more sandpaper tomorrow and sand again with 320 and 400 grit sandpaper. From what I have done so far, you can still see the grain in the door handles. (picture 5)

After sanding, I will paint using Omni Pak Master Blend EZ Touch vinyl paint. This paint is made by Diversified Brands, a division of Sherwin Williams. I bought this paint at Melvin's Classic Ford Parts. I'm pretty much through using the paints in the consumer section of Autozone and Advance Auto Parts. I'm strictly using the pro stuff from here on.

I am extremely optimistic about the outcome of these door handles. I will update.

Attached Files:

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    terry,
    a lot of work :yup: , hope you get the finish you are looking for...i had some handles done by a pro. they had a shop that redone cars, inside and out. it was a "total detail" shop. they did work for "used car" lots...the paint came off in about a month...frank...:bouncy:

p.s. do you want it in the mail...:huh:

3. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Tonight, I sanded the door handles with 320 grit paper. It does not take any pressure to smooth out the primer. There were a couple of areas where the orignal tan color tried to come through, so I applied another coat of primer. That made three coats. While it dried, I installed a puke bottle on the '77 Mav.

The pics are numbered left to right starting with 6.

Picture 6 is of one of the door handles with the thrid coat of primer. As you can see, you can still see the grain in the handle.

Pictures 7 and 8 are after sanding the third coat and applying the the first coat of Mustang Charcoal Black vinyl paint. It has a semi-sparkle to it. Tomorrow, I will sand the handles with 600 grit paper, get them nice and smooth, and apply another coat of black.

If the paint rubs off after all this, it's time to find good handles and change the rest of the interior to match the handels.:rofl:

Attached Files:

4. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Dang ... my Grabber door pads were originally green ... I painted them with Black Satin Rustoleum ... seem to be holding up fine ... :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Everyone I've talked to, including my Galaxie guys, have had trouble with peeling and flaking on all things plastic they have painted. Most have used Duplicolor. No one, and I mean no one, has ever mentioned Rustoleum for plastic, vinyl, etc. You may have something, but I think I may have hit on the right formula, too.

Those early model arm rests - are they a cushion covered with vinyl? that may be the difference. The door handles/arm rests in the '73 and newer cars are a solid hunk rubbery plastic.

6. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Yeah .. cushiony vinyl ...

7. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    terry,
    if the paint job doesn't work out i have the ...black ...handles i took off my '73 doors when i swapped to the '69.5 doors. if you don't need them they will be for sell...m.f.f. :bouncy:

8. dmhines

Vehicle:

LOL ... now you tell him ... you'd probably have sold him the handle's cheaper than all those cans of cleaner, primer, prep and paint!

9. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Did Frank mail the title?

10. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Frank, I may want them anyway. PM me your asking price?

11. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    The soft, cloth type vinyl is more capable of "sucking" in color and keeping the color than the hard pieces.

12. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    terry,
    i don't have an "asking" price but i do have a "selling" price, i could p.m. that to you...frank...:bouncy:

13. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Frank, you are a first class nutt!!!! PM me your selling price and I'll counter with my "I'll give you" price.:D

14. 71gold

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    terry,

NO!!!

...frank...:bouncy:

15. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick