Changing Headliner Color

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by DVCRobin, Sep 27, 2010.

1. DVCRobin

DVCRobin Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    Our original intention were to just eventually replace the headliner with a new black one. But looking at the exisiting headliner, it is in awesome condition. Makes me wonder if the prior owner had replaced it at some point. The seams are solid and the fabric is nice and tight.

That coupled with the fact that I just learned from another post that you have to remove the windshield to replace the headliner, makes me want to find another alternative.

I have seen post other places on the internet about buying fabric spray to change colors, but that just seems awkward (and messy) to spray upwards to the the roof of the car. Does anyone have another alternative or idea.

2. FishnRace

FishnRace Jamie

Vehicle:
    '72 2dr 351
    Put the car on a rotiserie and flip it over:biglaugh:

Seriously, I wonder if you could find some cloth paint that could be applied with a sponge or brush?

Also, I have read claims of doing it with the glass in. Maybe someone could hook you up with an "OLD PRO" that could pull it off and yield good results:huh:

3. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Just don't use psray paint! Mine had been painted, not dyed and it made a mess. Due to the fabric wrapping around the window lip it allowed moisture ti wick in. The paint seal the fabric which allowed the moisture to be trapped creating some very nice rust pockets. While ripping out the headliner you could peel the paint away from the fabric and see the original color.

4. indyman13

indyman13 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 w/ LDO and those bucket seats that bring back fond memories when I was about 19 years old back in '74
    I'm the kind of guy that likes to save money. I'd be going the route of SEMS vinyl/cloth spray or going to a paint jobber and having some mixed up to the color you want. Mask the hell out of everything really good, put on a respirator and go after it!