Changing out quarter panels?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by FuzzyDuck, Aug 24, 2003.

1. FuzzyDuck

FuzzyDuck JunkYard Hopper

Vehicle:
    73 2dr Mav Black
    How difficult is it to replace the quarter panels? The ones that are on my Mav are cancered up pretty good around the fender wells and I really don’t want to bondo them up for painting. I have access to quarter panels that are in better shape, but need to know how to replace them or approx how expensive it is to have them replaced?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  2. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    If you do not have any experience in this I advise you not to try it. If you are like me, then you will try it cause I love a challenge and learning things. The skill level on qtr panel replacement is 10 out of a 1 - 10 level, with 10 being the hardest. Go to your local library and read some of the books they have on body repair.
    On a Maverick I would charge $750.00 a side to qtr. it. That would not get you with topcoat, only primed. Sometimes you can find really nice work out of dudes garages that do this stuff in the evenings. The finished job will still have bondo. Tools you will need to complete the job yourself include. Mig welder, air compressor, inline sander, DA sander, grinder, body hammers and dollys, cut off tool of your choice and a spray gun. Not to mention the materials of bondo, gas for the mig, sandpaper, grinding discs, primer, spreaders, air respiraters, and last but not least, all the patience in the world.
    Dan

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I would assume that price would be for quarter panels that are NOS or reproductions. If your cutting them off another car, it is more than twice as much work.

4. FuzzyDuck

Vehicle:
    73 2dr Mav Black
    The panels I was refering to are already cut off. I would be getting them from DAB the Texas Rep.

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Cutting the quarters off another car is the easy part. You have to trim off the excess metal from the tail light panel, inner wheel well, door post, sail panel, and trunk drop without destroying the quarter panel. It is a whole bunch of work but unless you find a set of NOS ones, they will fit better than any reproduction ones.

6. FuzzyDuck

Vehicle:
    73 2dr Mav Black
    That's what I was affraid of. Thanks for the info.:D

7. Tim Wilmoth

Tim Wilmoth Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet gt
    maybe?

Hi I was a fabricator for ten yrs and now I need to do 2 quarters on my late brothers 69 mach one for his 17 year old son. I think I can handle the welding , cutting & grinding parts but I dont know about the bondo parts. Should i get a body shop to do it and does anyone know the best place to obtain the quarters. I'll probably have to go with repro because Im not likely to find a donor stang .Ill post some pics tommorrow so you folks will get a better Idea what Im talking of. Thanks Tim "my comet gt"

8. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    You're in VA. so Auto Krafters carries them. I can get them also, but the shipping will make them more expensive than you will get them from Auto Krafters. If you have a larger body shop supply nearby, check there also.