Chrome molding, converting it to black...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by A_Bartle, Jan 21, 2005.

1. A_Bartle

A_Bartle Stallion Dreamer

Vehicle:
    1976 Yellow 2-door Maverick
    I was wondering if anyone has done a "Stallion" clone from a regular Maverick. The reason I ask is, if I find a decent 74 to 77 2 door Maverick, I would want to "convert" it to a Stallion, as that was my very first car and of course I want it to be as close to that a possible. The thing that makes me nervous is the regular Mavericks have the chrome moldings around the windows, and around the tail lights. Does anyone know the proper way to treat this molding to get paint to stick to it? Are there special primers to use? The one thing that I have noticed, Ford did a great job (from the factory) in the blackout treatment on those moldings. I never saw a Maverick with flaking paint on the moldings. However, I have seen many a Camero, Firebird, or other GM products in the '70s and '80s that had a "blackout" treatment in a special package (from the factory) where the black on the normally chrome trim was flaking off. That is something I don't want to find myself dealing with if I convert a regular Maverick to a Stallion clone.

Thanks for any suggestions...
    Art

2. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    I did exactly what you're talking about to my car about 7 years ago. The only true chrome on these cars are the bumpers and quarter window boomerangs. All other trim is anodized aluminum. The chrome parts should be sandblasted, then primed with regular primer and painted. The anodized parts should be roughed up with ScotchBrite and then painted with a product such as TrimCoat, made by the Crest company. Maybe this product can also be found at the Eastwood Co. under a different name, but I'm not sure. I have had very good luck with my car - I've not had any peeling or flaking, but then again, I don't drive it everyday either. Hope this helps.

Sam :)

3. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I'm pretty sure the front windshield trim is Stainless ... the back is anodized ...

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I'd try bead blasting and see how that goes. Then a good paint like Sam mentioned. I know it works great for interior plastic parts. I have a powder coated trailer and also have a friend with a dragster which has a powder coated frame. I am not at all impressed with powder coating. Its just my own opinion but my trailer only looked good for about a year. It stone chips despite all the stuff I've read on how tough the stuff is and it peals up pretty easy once the surface is scratched or chipped. The dragster looks ok but I think paint would be alot better and certainly easier to touch up.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005