Chroming a grill and other parts

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by blugene, Jul 30, 2006.

1. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    I'm thinking of having my grill, sport mirrors and tail light panels chromed. What are your opinions on this idea and how much do you think it would cost?

2. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Sounds great, right after you build me a chrome grill :D :D :D

Let me know how chrome-on-plastic works for the grill, that might solve my problem. As for mirrors, you could probably buy from another model already chromed.

I have heard that the price of plating has gone up quite a bit. Let us know what you find out.

3. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Just poped in for a min. Sounds kinda high! So far I only have prices for some of the things I want done. Tell me if you think it sounds UNreasonable also.
    Boomerangs $45.00 ea.
    Wire looms $45.00 ea.
    Rear bumper $350.00
    Liscence plate light lens brkt. $15.00
    Sport mirrors $65.00 ea.
    Turn around time 3 weeks!? WOW!
    These quotes came from "Dirty Joes" in Dallas. I will have to do a few more gates before I can do this phase. Oh, they don't do plastic there. Be back on later as usual.

4. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    i got a few plastic grills on other cars i'd like to get re-chromed. i think a chrome grill on a maverick would look goo if you ask me. the metal looking ones on comets look pretty real

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I know there are companies that specialize in plastic chroming.

6. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    do they re-plate that plastic chrome stuff too, or just real metal?

7. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I hope MY grill doesn't end up looking like "goo".:D

8. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Plastic chroming is done electrostatically ... I don't think heat is involved. Are there plastic chrome platers that can reproduce the OEM quality chrome like on current cars. At the Ford dealer today they had an Explorer with a Chromed Plastic grill ... it was heavy duty and had to be so it wouldn't chip on the front of the vehicle. Not sure if anyone is doing that type of work aftermarket ...

9. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Not feeling rite about "Dirty Jos".:16suspect
    Shane didn't inspect my bumper. He glanced the back side while it was laying in the bed of my truck.
    I think those prices are putting a damper on resto projects. And I think it adds value to the good chrome I do have and the whole car for that matter. Esp after I have all the parts redone that I plan on doing.
    Here's a place I just found that is actually in route to the house :drive: . Guess it's my turn to ask about group rates...Any groupies? :idea:

http://www.goldenchrome.net/index.html

10. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    I would just use the chrome paint on the plastic.

11. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    How does that work? I thought you had to run current through the part to get it to plate? Are they just using "plating" as a generic term?

12. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Hey Blown76Mav, did you find that in a name search?LOL... What else poped up?lol, j/k.

ATOMonkey, I spoke to a woman from Goldenchrome about several things of topic. She only mentioned that it is not a dipping tank process like some places do. What she described to me sounded like a spray on and bake at a moderate leval, that isn't so hot that damage occures to the subject part.
    Layloni (spelling?) mentioned that they have been doing this for a few years now ( I think she said two) and have recently expanded to do more, in a bigger place. She told me that they can do colors and custom colors also.
    The clear coat that is thicker than most is flexable and resists chipping.
    Pricing? well...i've only gotten one for the grill and the comparison to the prices I got from DJs seems better, without any nego on a group rate. I am thinking of having these guys do something smaller then see what the quality is like before I ask or beg for group rates, for all who are intrested (if anybody).:drink: :drink: