Cleaning Anna's New Mustang

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Anna, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Anna

Anna Member

Vehicle:
    My Great-Grandmother Della's 1974 Mav
    I just bought a new Mustang with high gloss black paint, what do I use to clean it? What kind of material, what kind of chemical?:huh: I don't want to add any scratches so I am looking to all of you to help me out on this one.

Thanks for any input(y),

Anna

2. blue76maverick

blue76maverick Member

Vehicle:
    76 2 door
    i would try a clay bar. i think you can get them from a parts store now. but thats my opinion.

3. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    What kinds of towels are safe to use that won't leave fine scratches or swirls in the paint? You know how black is, you can see just about everything that touches it.

4. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    i'd use deep gloss meguiars and top it off with a pure carunba like mothers... i used those for years. i'd only use those if the car is clean and already has a nice coat of wax.. otherwise use a light clearner wax on it but only if it is bad. if oyu keep it up and wipe it down with a quick detailer everyday you should never have to use a cleaner wax IMO.

btw might wanna move this topic to another section ;)

nice stuff but IMO its over rated. cost too and too much hassle.. you can get the same results if you take care of your paint and just use pure carnuba.

use mircofibers cloth ONLY you can get them cheap at costco if you have on one of those out there. if not they sell them at auto parts stores but they are more money.

5. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Thanks guys. Never heard of clay bar, but found a Maquires clay bar kit, that has the detail spray, bar, microfiber towel, and a wax. I have always trusted maquires stuff, and have had good luck with their leather coniditioners, etc.

She believes that she can keep it in good shape using just the microfiber and detail spray, then maybe doing the clay bar 1 or 2 times a year followed by wax.

Does that sound about right?

I thought of having her put this in Off-topic, but figured that it is a general cosmetic question that would apply 100% to mavericks and comets (at least those that are painted, so mine would not apply here). I could suggest to her to change the title to "cleaning Anna's "Maverick-type" car:D

6. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    topoftheline.com got bunches of stuff. I'm on the road, there is a site that sells real nice towels, cant find web site will post later.

top of the line also has tips and hints for cleaning etc. Dont have to buy anything,just a great site.

7. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Nice site:thumbs2:

Tremendous detail, and instructions on using the clay, what to clean the vinyl top with, how to UV protect it, EVERYTHING!!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  8. wagesofsin

wagesofsin Official Lurkologist

Vehicle:
    74 challenger , 73 'cuda , 72 challenger , 74 barracuda
    my son is by far the "detail king" ill have him get in touch with you scott and anna.

9. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    http://dftowel.com

Click on line store, great towels an accessories. Mention Ford truck enthusiast' and get 5-10% discount.

10. NAFORD302

NAFORD302 Member

Vehicle:
    77 FACTORY V8 AC CAR
    :Woot: :yippee: NICE CAR

11. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    I have been through the black car thing 3 times!
    I was a glutton for punishment I guess...
    3 black Z28s in a row!
    Man, were they pretty!!! (for about 5 minutes after washing them)

I never heard of micro-fiber. I was always told to use made in USA cotton terry. Worked okay, but still had swirl marks and such.

Glad for Anna, but I think she will get tired of polishing the car and the next will be a lighter color. ;)

For mine, I liked Meguires stuff. Also really liked Teflon based polishes.
    The Teflon made for really slick surface and I used a car duster on it between washes.
    Seriously though, the cars couldn't stay clean for a day.
    I don't think I will get another black car.
    Sad, because it is my fav color for a late model muscle type car...
    Love the sinister look.
    Dave
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  12. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I have clearly stated my opinion of black cars a number of times. I would never own one. Look great...on someone else's car. I don't want the hassle of cleaning it.

Anna is learning the hard way. Yesterday, she is out cleaning her car, then the neighbor lights up his weedeater and she freaks out, running around in circles panicking. she quickly puts it in the garage and shuts the door, and cusses about the neighbor, like it is HIS fault that his grass needs to be cut...

Today, first day at work, parked outside, and it is covered in dust. Still looks good, but keep back about 10 feet!

We talked to her teacher-friend's husband who is an automotive paint guy, done it all his life. He agrees with the Teflon-type waxes. Anna can just dust it off every couple of days.

Or drive fast enough to blow all the dust off:burnout:

Seriously, though. I put in a K&N filter, and she is doing 25mph in the neighborhood and says "it really DOES feel a little faster!":hmmm:

The power of suggestion is a very powerful....uh...power?:16suspect I guess I should convince her that the high gloss shine of the black paint will make it cut through the wind better giving her better gas mileage.:bs: