Color sanding question

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by ford84stepside, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    How long should I let acrillic enamel set up before I color sand between coats? It will have hardner in it. Plan on spraying first color coat sat, need 2nd color on by next sat.

2. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    I would let it sit in the sun for a couple days at least

3. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    I am not real sure you do color sand before coats on that kind of paint. I thought the paint burned itself in to the coat below it and you color sanded after the last coat? Of course I know nothing about painting. lol
    I know when I painted my truck I let the paint sit about 3o minutes and then shot another coat on it. I put 3 coats on it.
    I tired wet sanding one side of the bed about a year later and didn't see a lot of difference so quit.
    By the way, what color are you painting it? lol
    Clint

4. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have never color sanded in between coats of acrylic enamel. I just put on the desired amount of paint and with the hardner used, and as suggested before, let it set in the sun a few good days and you can usually color sand the top coat and then buff. Note, if you have any metallic in the color, and by not using a clearcoat top coat, color sanding will probaby produce tiger striping. If it is a solid color, sand away and then buff.

5. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    I went ahead and sanded between coats with 400 grit just to smooth it a little [and take car of a boo boo or two]. Went back this afternoon and wet sanded the top coat with 2000 grit. I'm not satisfied with the finish, so in a couple of weeks I'm gonna go ahead and put a couple more coats on it. If it does ok then, I add the second color stripe and taillight panel, then clear coat it. This painting is a job! A true bodyman EARNS their money!

6. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    I thought the painting was the easiest part. It was the body work that did me in. I was on a time limit in that I was out of time off and had to finish up and get back to work.
    Read up on the paint you are using as I remember on my paint there were limits on how long between coats and such. I used Omni paint and tried to lay it on real wet so it would flow together. I was very happy with the paint but my body worked SUCKED. lol
    Sure is fun tough ain't it. Man that 1st coat of color it was just like WOW!
    What color are you painting it again? lol
    clint